How would you react???

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If a some one asked to borrow a piece of your equipment and you were pressured to lend it by others who told you the guy was in need; and then you found out he had used the equipment to make money?

Is it OK because he was "in need" to earn some money?

Not OK because he didn't tell you it was for a job and he essentially is now practically competing with you using your own equipment.....

The first time it wasn't because DH had a job, now this is our income too... He is asking again, and again not being clear that he is using it to make money.

(This time I am more angry at the people that are pressuring us than anything else, but that is another battle altogether)

How would you react?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Need more info. Is this guy a relative? Is he using the equipment because this is also his only way to make money?
Are the people pressuring you relatives?

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If it's not a personal friend of mine, then he would probably not be getting to us it for free.

I would have to think it over, but I think if he were to use it, I would charge him a rental fee.

But if you rather not lend out your equipment than don't, especially if he's using it to make money doing jobs. If that equipment was my means of making a living, then it surely isn't going to be lent out to anyone that is not a close friend who has demonstrated they know what they're doing. Other than that, we would be the only ones operating the equipment.

If he is "in need" then what would happen if he broke or damaged your equipment? What if it was stolen while under his care.

Most places have equipment rentals(depending on what that equipment is) let him spend his money to make his money. Isn't that the saying? You have to spend money to make money? That way if anything happens it's the rental companies lost and not your own.

As for the people that are pressuring you, find some way to explain that if this man wants to do business with you, it's between you and him. This equipment is valuable, if not, important to you, you aren't about to put it in harm's way.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can you not just ask the guy if he's using it to make money and compete against your own business?

If your DH is not working now and is now using the equipment as his source of income, personally I would just explain to whoever that you need it to make money and can't lend it out now...

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
This happened to me last year early spring with my log splitter. I rent it out for 25 dollars a day. Steve would pay me with wood to burn, and I did mind meeting him the middle and letting him get by without paying cash. I also would buy a truck load of split wood for 75 which was minus the 25 fee.

He kept my splitter 3 days without paying rental, and Dale phoned me and mention Steve was selling split wood for 65 a truck lad split. So I drove down to his house and got my splitter, we spoke once since then. He had some stained glass I wanted, I got it plus a glass sander for 30. I found out that he mention he was moving. After snooping around I found out he has been evicted.

I'd be angry, and I don't look down on people, but if I needed the income in order to provide, I wouldn't help him out. Might seem bitter and unkind, but you can't let people walk all over you in life.

When people try to pressure me into something, I am more likely to pause and try to find out why I am being pressured?

I don't rent my log splitter out any more, some one told me that I could be sued if some one got hurt on it, liable issues.

Don't feel upset my not giving in, but this is JMHO.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The fact that he was making money wouldn't necessarily t me off, but the fact that he is using your equipment to compete against you? THAT is where I would completely flip out. Him I would just say no I can't lend it to you anymore. Sorry. For the people who arm twisted? THOSE would be the ones feeling my wrath.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I had an uncomfortable situation like this with my brother.
He borrowed my rototiller for his garden. He kept it for a week and told me that during that time he lent it to a buddy that he owed a favor to. This floored me; I thought it showed poor judgment, and was deceitful and manipulative by his not running it past me first.
I have no idea if this buddy lent it to other buddies-you know how these favor systems go. :rolleyes:
I now don't lend anyone anything that I value.

A lot of this equipment has a certain length of life to it. There is a lot of use involved to make money off a piece of equipment. Unless I really needed the rental $$, I wouldn't lend it out, pressure or no pressure.
For you- lessons learned(I hope)!

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't think "the guy's in need" should enter into it. Either you are comfortable with lending him the equipment, or you aren't. Since you use it for producing income yourself, I'm on the Don't Lend side of the equation. If other people are so concerned about his "need" then they can get together and rent the equipment for him. If they aren't willing to put out some cash to help him, then why should you lend him your source of income? You aren't running a charity; you're running a home that depends on that equipment for some of your income. Don't be bullied and guilted into doing something that you obviously don't want to do.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I think your gut is telling you that the situation is not right, that you are being taken advantage of.

It is wonderful to help someone who is in a hard place, but when it is expected AND what they are doing can have a negative impact on you and your family....then I would say you need to pull the plug.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It is wonderful to help someone who is in a hard place, but when it is expected AND what they are doing can have a negative impact on you and your family....then I would say you need to pull the plug.
:thumbsup