Howdy all

firem3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hey all I've been away for a while trying to sort thing out and get a new perspective on things. I have working like a mad man trying to get the crops going, the animals going etc. The latest from my world is that the city I work for as a firefighter has in their infinate wisdom decided that we (firefighters only) can afford a 25% pay cut, the loss of 7 holidays, and an increase of insurance premimus and co-pays. I am sooo not complaining just saying, cause I know alot of folks have NO job. I figure if firefighters are loosing 25% of their pay things must be getting bad in the private sector. So the things ive been doing is digging root cellars, canning like mad, I built a drying system for my vegatables and stuff, learning all i can from the older folks on how to do it the old way, which i already had alot of training thankls to a great raising. Any way just checking in its good to see some of the old names.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Smart to take those kinds of measures. It's bad, and it's going to get worse. Today I live on 70% less than five years ago. Did what you are doing and have never regretted it for a minute.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey good to see you again. Sorry to hear your city does not appreciate you.

All of the things you have been doing sound great. I wish I had a root cellar. Keep up the good work.

gina

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
The company I workED for did the same, no paycuts, but they took away paid time off, hours, and no increases for a couple of years. Finally I got laid off with 30 other people, and now the folks there have to take one day off a month, hours have been cut again and so have the holidays.
Its tough out there for sure.

:welcome

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
welcome back! Sounds like you've been working hard on all fronts. I hope we can be an encouragement to you... I know these folks have been one to me. :frow

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hey!!! why does your post count only way 3? and what about the dislexic fireman running in when others are running out??

:frow

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Hey!!! why does your post count only way 3? and what about the dislexic fireman running in when others are running out??

:frow
that 3 post count confused me too.