Howdy and a question already! (a yogurt question)

EggsForIHOP

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Okay - so I'm new...kinda scary...but I've been lurking for a while and actually bee sort of active on the BYC forum for a while (I don't have a lot of time to participate, but I try:))

Already got a question....

So...my BF and I are currently working on a batch of yogurt in the crockpot and we were wondering...

Can you add vanilla for flavoring after it cools? Like right before you put it in the fridge? Or should you just add right before you eat it? we don't want to ruin the whole thing and make it runny - nothing wrong with drinking it through a straw...but at the same time we are keeping our fingers crossed for yogurt consistency and not that drinkable stuff!

Thanks in advance!!!

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome
Very good question, I was wondering the same thing myself. I need to make a batch again soon. When I make yogurt I put a Spoonful of jam in the bottom of the container and cover with a serving of yogurt. Next batch I'm going to try Vanilla. I figure I'll start with 1/8 teaspoon and a sprinkle of brown sugar and adjust from there. I recently started using 1/2 pint jelly jars for containers.

EggsForIHOP

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks you so much! So...you do put the jam in, but at the bottom like they do the store stuff huh? And it stays thick? We shall SOOO try this in a jar!!!! (If it turns out that is...we shall see in the morning...)

Thank you thank you thank you!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
From everything I ever read you should add flavor / jams etc when you eat it. If I am not mistaken it will get runny.

By the way, Welcome!!! Interesting name you have there!!!

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't had runny yogurt yet with the jam on the bottom method. You don't mix them until you are ready to eat. I like this method because it's a easy snack to grab. If we had to add the flavor each time we wouldn't eat them. It's easier to grab something that is ready to eat. I can also control the amount of sugar in each serving. IF DH mixed them they'd be half jam half yogurt!
I have found that the higher the fat content in the milk used the thicker the product. I prefer 2% for yogurt making.

EggsForIHOP

Power Conserver
Reaction score
buckeye lady said:
:welcome
Very good question, I was wondering the same thing myself. I need to make a batch again soon. When I make yogurt I put a Spoonful of jam in the bottom of the container and cover with a serving of yogurt. Next batch I'm going to try Vanilla. I figure I'll start with 1/8 teaspoon and a sprinkle of brown sugar and adjust from there. I recently started using 1/2 pint jelly jars for containers.
Thank you so much!!!! When the yogurt was ready...in the wee hours of the morning.....we put a couple of different things in the bottom of a couple just to try it, then refrigerated....and just now...VIOLA! Stir it up and it is wonderful! It isn't runny, and came out perfect! Wish we had done every little jar that way...we will next time. We just had our first taste and I can't believe I didn't do this sooner - so much better than store bought stuff!

Just wanted to let you know that is a brilliant idea you gave my sidekick and I! And say THANKS again!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhh, your not actually making the yogurt with the jam in the bottom.. I was very confused, sorry. :hide See I have a Donavier with those little plastic cups. If I added the jam it would not set. So we put our jam on top and then put the caps on.

ok I get it now. :thumbsup