Howdy! Deer fat soap info from a new member.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Why yes... it is the new member thread. My bad. My ADD showing! I flit around like a squirrel chasing a bushel of nuts rolling down a mountainside. So... let's hear more... What else do you have going on? Animals... farm or otherwise? Gardening? Food preservation? Dump picking, scavenging, or MacGuyvering to make something out of nothing?
That's funny!! I resemble that remark! :lol:

Welcome to the forum! Tell us more about yourself. Are you moving this year or putting in a garden?

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Why yes... it is the new member thread. My bad. My ADD showing! I flit around like a squirrel chasing a bushel of nuts rolling down a mountainside. So... let's hear more... What else do you have going on? Animals... farm or otherwise? Gardening? Food preservation? Dump picking, scavenging, or MacGuyvering to make something out of nothing?
Yes... DIY is always my hobby, I really love making things out of everything that you can find inside the house. Its a hobby I inherited from my dad.

Black powder jack

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Deer fat soap? Interesting.. Is generally animal fat. can we use a different animal? what are my alternatives?
Yes, you can make soap out of many, many different kinds of animal fat or plant oil. The video I linked shows you one online lye calculator (there are many) that provides formulations for everything from emu fat to cranberry seed oil (who knew!?) Mine is about 55 % deer fat and 45% soybean oil. The amount of lye you use depends on the types and proportions of fat/oil.

Black powder jack

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Um, OK, yes, I have been accused of MacGuyvering from time to time. You might get a kick out of this ...
No animals on site (except for an indoor cat, sorry to say).
I do some wilderness adventures, mostly in a canoe, and sometimes I make stuff to make those trips easier. I also do a lot of what we call "Free food from God"-- venison and other hunting victims, lots of fish, occasional wild 'shrooms and other edibles from the woods.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's funny!! I resemble that remark! :lol:

Welcome to the forum! Tell us more about yourself. Are you moving this year or putting in a garden?
Welcome to our forums.
Yes, you can make soap out of many, many different kinds of animal fat or plant oil. The video I linked shows you one online lye calculator (there are many) that provides formulations for everything from emu fat to cranberry seed oil (who knew!?) Mine is about 55 % deer fat and 45% soybean oil. The amount of lye you use depends on the types and proportions of fat/oil.
Welcome to our forums.. The most accessible fat we have here is pig fat. I can imagine that there might be some issues in consistency or smell or what.. hahaha.