How's your harvest coming?

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our garden was attacked twice by deer this year, leaving us with an even shorter growing season and not much produce..
The beans (green & dry) and peas came back to some extent, but flowered very little and didn't produce much.
Lettuce, radishes & beets were wiped out. Won't plant for fall because we are moving.
Tomatoes are growing like mad. We didn't plant enough to can much, just experimenting with different types. So far, I am most impressed with the Amish paste tomatoes, for our area. Loads of baseball/softball sized fruits with very few seeds and lots of meat.
Our sugar pumpkins and butternut squash are fighting for space on the fence- lots of blooms, but only a few fruits, but the nicest I've ever grown!
Onions are doing well. Still small, but that's to be expected here.
Potato tops are taking over their part of the garden. Haven't checked below ground.
Peanuts are doing really well. They were hit by deer too, but bounced right back and put on lots of blooms (I have been told blooms equal nuts underground. I sure hope that's true).
Despite all our heat, which I thought was good growing conditions for okra, it has been very slow and kind of stubby.
Cuke has only produced one since deer raid. Several more coming.
Melon took too long to bounce back and won't be able to produce because of our short growing season, but I left it because it's trying so hard, I didn't have the heart to pull it :)
Our neighbor supplies our zukes, pan squash and corn. He has the greenest thumb I've ever seen, but the man will not get off his secrets to growing for nothing!
We had a bumper crop of rhubarb this year. It loves this clay soil, for some reason. I know it won't produce half as much in the sandy soil we're going to( from past experience), which saddens me, because we all love rhubarb. Maybe I'll dig a bunch of this stuff to set in the holes with them?!!
All of my pepper plants yellowed and pretty much gave out this year. A few flowered, but no fruit. Planted them in three different mediums, to see which they liked best. I guess that was a resounding none!
The carrots tops were chewed off, but bounced back well. Not sure how they are doing underground though.
Our unknown apple tree is putting on bigger fruits, but still suffers from scab, despite repeated sprayings, so won't get much from it.
Of our two unknown pears, only one set fruit this year and I can count how many on two hands with fingers left over, but they are much bigger than when we moved here.
All our other plantings are still trying to establish themselves. If I can, they'll go with us. Otherwise, somebody else will get to enjoy the fruits of my labor. :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Avalon1984 said:
I hate snails. MUST KILL SNAILS. :rant Tomatoes were mostly ok. onions were a little weird. First did nothing, then got crazy. Corn stopped growing at 3ft and developed ears, God knows why. Red and white cabbage are doing good but I must eliminate the SNAILS. Roosters are getting big and fat so thats a bit of an accomplishment at least.
If they are really truly garden snails and not slugs eating the crops, just remember .... snails ARE edible and a delicacy in some countries! ;) :lol:

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We had horrible very cold weather well past our last "frost date" plus I was busy with a newly epileptic kid so I started my garden too late. We did finally get a few blueberries, strawberries and a big ole zuke. Then we were gone, had the "friends" taking care of everything so naturally the goats didn't get fed, thus they escaped and ate part of my garden and my chicken's food, then the chickens discovered my garden once the goats broke down the fence. So ... we won't get any more strawberries or blueberries, and probably only a few yellow squash and zuchinni's. One or two tomatoes. Total.

Harvest?

Not nearly enough to can or dehydrate.

Very disappointed here on the Colorado plains.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Everything's been okay except for tomatoes and green bell peppers. No one I've talked to around here has had much luck with either.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My garden was doing great until it was over 100 degrees and there was no way I was hauling my prego bum out to weed, lol.

The lettuce did well early, along with radishes and spinach. Let them bolt when it got hot.
Snap peas got taken out by some sort of critter
Planted a ton of mixed green bean varieties but only one variety of seed sprouted (still kicking myself for not testing) the couple plants did well enough to pick for snacking and a few dinners.
Cucumbers were overwhelming, ate most of them raw and canned up 12 pints of dills and 6 1/2 pints of relish
We had some tomatoes self-seed from last year, mostly romas, been eating plenty and managed to can up 12 pints of salsa
The tomatoes we planted were mostly heirlooms, they are still making it to the table.
The kabocha squash seeds we saved gave us 3 mystery mix squashes, then we got squash vine borers and because I haven't weeded we didn't notice until it was too late.
We had a few zucchini and squash before the borers found them
Lots of hot peppers. need to invest in a food processor so I can get to making some hot sauces.
Raspberries, blackberries and wine berries were barely enough to entertain the kids.
Herbs... dill, basil, oregano, parsley, sage and hyssop did well.
Horseradish and rhubarb were left to expand this year, they looked miserable and never really took off.

already planning to attempt moving some plants indoors for the winter and doing an indoor herb garden. just need to get hubby to move his pile o' stuff out of my SE facing bay window.

edit: i can't spell

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We are having an excellent harvest for the banana slugs, moles and robins.

For human beings, however, we are doing really excellent on two things, potatoes and the pumpkin/squashes. We also have some tomatoes going, some beans and peas and corn.

I experimented with planting some grains for the animals, which the goats broke into and ATE so I guess it was a success. :lol:

I also had a pumpkin which looked great from one side, but from the other side, you could see the chickens had reached their skinny necks through the fence and Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeetched to reach that pumpkin and had it all hollowed out. :he At least there are more on that plant, which I shifted out of their way!

We should have a bumper potato crop is our big success.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tomatoes - all heirloom, bumper crop from about 25 plants

Cucumbers - heirloom, only 3 plants but they produced well

Blackeye peas - heirloom, 2 bumper crops

Green Beans - heirloom, plants in the sun died, plants in the shade gave me only enough for a few meals

Hot Peppers - heirloom, only 3 plants, didn't thrive but got enough for some salsa, froze some, and put the rest in vinegar

Squash - heirloom, big bust, vine borers

Potatoes - bust, all the plants died, found one teeny tiny little potato at the bottom of one of the baskets

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Rhubarb harvest this year was wonderful. Still low as these are all "new" plants still. But enough to have quite a few pies this coming year.
25 quarts so far of fermented zucchini pickles.
All the lettuce we can stuff ourselves with, plus lots to give away.
Cabbages and carrots are super as well.
Potatos....not sure yet. We will have to buy a bunch from a local farmer. Cost on that will be low though. $20 for 50 pounds.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Growing more bugs than anything. :(
Lost squashes, but got a few before the plants bit the dust from squash bugs.
Just picked a few green beans this morning, lots of little ones, so maybe those plants are bouncing back from all the heat...and the grasshoppers.

Lots of potatoes and tomatoes, but so far I'm behind in what I wanted to preserve as there are people in need that didn't get much from their gardens. I'm willing to share. I don't know what's going on with the tomatoes, I'm the only one around here that has any this year. I plant just Celebrity as they seem to be the only thing that performs every year. This year they are huge for that variety.

Onions were okay, nothing to brag about, same with beets. A friend grew bell peppers for me (my soil is too alkaline) and I grew beets for her, worked out well. I didn't plant other peppers this year.
Had cucumber overload, but back to fighting cucumber beetles.

On the upside, grapevines are going crazy, raspberry plants suddenly took off, even the idiot blackberry plant decided to grow this year. Maybe next year I'll get some fruit from them.

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just picked a grocery sack of cherry tomatoes. Have 3 of them in the frig so it's time to make tomato soup.
Got another sack of okra and all 25 stalks are still blooming their little hearts out.
Snapped off 2 sunflower heads to start drying them.
Planted beets, cabbage and broccoli this evening for a Fall harvest.

Did ok this year considering we moved there and had no idea what the previous owners had done to enhance the soil.