hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
What a ripoff!

Store bought cleaning products that is! Finally got another spray bottle to put my orange vinegar mix into, and am THRILLED to say that it took less than 5 minutes to clean our GROSS stove top with it. I should have taken before and after pictures with a time stamp on them, I swear! We had been really remiss in cleaning the stove, I have done a better job over the past couple of days really keeping the counters clean, and just hadn't tackled the stove because I knew it would take some elbow grease and I wanted to try out the orange vinegar to see how it did anyway. Finally the other half brought home another spray bottle from work and so I was able to transfer the vinegar into it so that it could be easily used. Sprayed it ALL over the stove and let it sit for a few minutes then started wiping up the crumbs and junk (should have "dusted" it off first! EW!). Then I used a toothbrush to scrub all the spots, and almost every one of them came right off with little effort. I grabbed a rag to wipe everything down again so I could see what came off and what didn't, re-sprayed the few spots that were still there, and added a bit of baking soda for a little extra kick and used the toothbrush once more, again, easily taking the spots off. One more final wipe down and the stove was sparkly white again! I think we'll put the eye cover things in the dishwasher tonight, along with the free canning jars I picked up and let it actually heat dry the load tonight to get everything good and clean. I was just shocked how well this worked. I love it!

The thing that really makes me crazy... we ate the orange, so the peel is a by-product that would otherwise be thrown away or composted (probably still can be composted even in its current vinegar-mushy state). Vinegar is CHEAP. 1 1/2 gallons costs us 3.49 or something silly like that at BJ's. I simply stuck the peel of one orange into a cleaned out mayonnaise jar, filled with vinegar, and let sit (probably for longer than it needed to, cause I kept forgetting to get another spray bottle), and then poured it into a spray bottle. The probably 3 cups +/- of vinegar that are in the bottle probably cost less than 50c. Heck, even if you counted the cost of the oranges AND the cost of 1 gallon of vinegar, it still wouldn't come CLOSE to the price of conventional cleaner. Not to mention that the ingredients of conventional cleaners are questionable at best and completely unknown in the worst case.

In other news the other half brought home a smoker courtesy of his boss. His boss's dad built him one, so he gave us the one that he had. He also happened to give the other half a bible of a book called Smoke & Spice. He's sooooo excited and now there are pork ribs the list to get from the farm this week, so I know what is coming next weekend! Looking forward to exploring this new found fun thing!

Finally finished putting together the 12 chairs for our other office plus three desk chairs. I don't even want to LOOK at another un-assembled chair for a LONG TIME. I am very tired, too. The other half decided to go run to Target and Bed Bath & Beyond to see about a new pair of clippers since his bit the dust again. I am so tired I didn't even have the energy to go with him, which is really disappointing. I like going places with him and shopping. Just not tonight. He did get to leave work early today because they were so dead. His boss probably paid him for the hours anyway. He hit quite a bit of traffic on the way home, which stinks but he did get home about the same time I did, which was great. We were able to get a few things put away and straightened up before fixing dinner which was great.

I ate panera bread yesterday for lunch, and then arby's today, blech. Tonight he cooked hamburgers with fried eggs, and for whatever reason I tasted a LOT of salt in my burger. I don't know if it was from all the crap I ate over the past two days or what, but it was disappointing and annoying. I just hope that this weekend we are able to get back to the things that we know are good for us. These things taste good when I am eating them even if I know they are just not good for me. So frustrating.

Busy weekend ahead. Going to visit a good friend down in VA and go shooting together. We get to play with the shot gun, which is great since I haven't been able to handle it at all yet. It'll be an all day trip, which is fun, and yet at the same time, not so fun. They used to live an hour away, and now they live 2 1/2 hours, and that is frustrating. It takes an ENTIRE day in order to "hang out" and I feel like we should really do overnights, but then that requires finding someone to watch the dogs here. And I don't have that kind of time/energy. In addition, these friends of ours are pretty stuck in their current ways, and we have changed dramatically over the past 2 years to a much more organic natural lifestyle, and they just don't believe it or see value in it. This is something that I am beginning to move to a foundation of. One of the last times we ate with them she fixed turkey bacon and egg beaters and used a ton of margarine, and after we ate I realized just how bad I felt. It didn't bother my stomach, but my body was definitely none too pleased with all the processed excuse for food she cooked. I told the other half that I wanted to really try to avoid eating anything they cook if we can help it because they use so much frankenfood now. Not that restaurants are much better, but at least it is fairly easy to avoid ordering the low fat stuff.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow... Hopefully it will go well. They now have a hot tub at their house, so at least that will be enjoyable.

Sunday will be busy too, I think I've got two meetings with various people involved in planning for the equestrian center. That is assuming I can get them to confirm where and when we need to meet... I'll be working on other chores trying to get things straightened up around here, and also trying to get the kitchen table sold :fl on Craigslist or Kijiji so that we'll have a place to put the incoming new to us kitchen table set from my coworker that is moving.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Went shooting today with a friend that lives down in VA. Had fun, got to try out the shotgun. Ow. Hence forth the shotgun will be referred to as "The Mule." Bout sums it up. Did alright otherwise, though the range was quirky.

Course the 2+ hours of driving to get down there, and then about a half hour of driving each way to the range and then the 2+ hours back in the rain/snow was oh so much fun. We'll see if it snows anymore over night, that could be interesting. Its about time winter got here, seriously. I am worried about what summer will be like if winter is almost over.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm worried about bugs. :/

hqueen13

Reaction score
Me, too, Deb. Very much so. Course, its good for the other half's business in the HVAC world. :-/ Win some and lose some I guess.

Had a great day yesterday for my birthday. It was laid back and quiet with no catastrophes to deal with. My kind of day!

My coworker that sold us the table and chairs brought the table with her, so we took it home and got it set up (now if we can just SELL our other table.... c'mon people!! :fl ) and then went out to dinner at our favorite texmex place (I'm such a cheap date sometimes!) and then ran over to Depot to pick up a couple more nuts for the table legs since a few were missing and to the bank to put the checks in the bank that came in my birthday cards. I am hoping I get a little more because I need all the help I can get paying for these pictures to be framed. The first pictures should be ready on Saturday, and I am sooo excited! :celebrate

Came home and got the table set up, and it looks nice. Not quite as tall as I expected, but a really good height. I need to get it cleaned up a bit, she didn't take care of it like I would have, but that's not a big deal I don't think. She isn't here today, and tomorrow we're supposed to get rain/snow, so I'll have to wait until Thursday to get the chairs from her. If I can manage, I'll get the table really cleaned up today and that way I can do the chairs on Thursday when I get them home.

Last night the moon was gorgeously full which was a lot of fun for the night of my birthday. I put all of my stones outside to take a moon bath all night too :)

Someone has posted a BUNCH of horse stuff for sale, including an electric fence. I need to call them today and find out how much she wants for it. I have no idea if it will work for the deer, but it is worth a shot! (might be overkill, probably is... and is probably worth more than I really want to pay for it.)

I think I have my dog's issues sorted out. He's still crazy itchy, and I finally thing I've figured out that he's allergic to chicken. Course, we've been feeding him a mix of raw beef and chicken for several months now. Poor guy. So I'm going to cut that out of his diet, and then see about getting him healthy again. I really hope so because he looks quiet pathetic right now, and is sooo itchy. He's underweight, too. I just pray this is the right answer because if it isn't I don't know what we'll do, he's 10 now and that is getting to the point where it is harder to keep them healthy. I sure will do things differently with our next dogs... I hope I don't get to put that into practice any time soon!

Otherwise, I am cruising right along. I hope that soon I will have a bit more time to do some more catch up things in the house. The windows need to be cleaned good for the first time in a long time, and a few of the blinds need to be cleaned from where the windows leaked on them. I hope I can keep catching up slowly but surely.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You put all your stones outside to moon bathe? Are those crystals or? Sounds fascinating.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Yes, Rathbone, I have several different kinds of stones, and a pendulum, and I just sat them outside on the table in the moonlight overnight. I ended up sitting them in a bit of a cardinal direction pattern, but it had no real meaning other than I liked the way they lined up! :p It helps to recharge the energies in them, and sort of reset them. I was working with the pendulum a bit with my close friend, and we were having trouble getting it to really do its thing, but she had neglected it for a long time and just given it to me, so I don't think it really reconnected with anything. We'll have to see how it does the next time she comes over.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a good old recharge under the moon is never a bad thing for objects and people (i sat ot under it for 1/2 an hour last night while dozer ran around like a lunatic lol)
sounds like things aregoing well :)

hqueen13

Reaction score
Pink, I told my friend it was too cold for me to do a moon bath and I'd go soak in the bath instead :p I guess it worked just as well, LOL! I really do love being in the moon, I just don't get to do it enough.

And yes, Rathbone, you should go get out and get some moonlight!!

hqueen13

Reaction score
Awesome breakfast of happy chicken eggs, happy pig bacon and Turmeric Tea!! (Was going to post the link to the recipe, but the website is down - just visit www.marksdailyapple.com and search for Turmeric Tea)

Going to be a great day! Going to the local bank to open a new account (2% interest! On a Checking account! AND it is right down the street!), and then head up to pick up my framed picture and pay for the second one. That's gonna hurt the wallet, but I am REALLY glad to finally be getting this done. Then we head up to a local winery for a valentine's wine tasting with friends - wine and truffles! After that we're going out to a store that sells wood and supplies for smoking so we can smoke ribs tomorrow. Then it is to our Alexander Technique lesson (so excited for the second lesson in a week!)

And we woke up to a beautiful inch of snow. It won't last but I suppose that's the good kind of snow anyway...

Alright! Off and running!

Latest posts