hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh wow.... There's just no way around it - this SUCKS! It's so hard to be in limbo...

I hope things fall into place for you! :hugs

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm still thinking about raising meat rabbits and maybe get a small chicken tractor. I think you can have a few hens. Roosters are a no-no but every morning I hear them, lol. The landlord said she wouldn't have a problem if the city says it's ok.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
there are ways to keep roosters from crowing, or at least minimizing it. One I remember reading about was to keep the rooster in a small cage at night- one that prevents him from stretching out his neck since that is what they do to crow. Seems kind of cruel unless you let them out during the day, and then they would crow when they are out and about. There are collars you can buy that supposedly prevent them from crowing loudly- that might work in town?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had hens in my backyard where we used to live. Hens are quiet.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My NH hens would disagree with you. Between the nest box squabbles and false emergencies, they're always squawking.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My NH's do too! Part of the reason they're going in a stewpot. None of my other breeds do that

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - I'm going to be doing a chicken cull as soon as it cools down some. I've got some free-loaders who need to be in the stewpot. And, out of the batch of chicks I hatched it appears that more than half are roos. They will have their place reserved in the freezer also. May even do them pretty young - like game hen size.

Several years ago I had a little terrier that got into a chicken tractor and killed about a dozen half-grown chicks. I snatched them up and dressed 'em out even at that half-grown size. Had to discard some because they were just too bruised - but most of 'em we salvaged and they were quite tasty!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had our first roasted rooster dinner the other night... He was only 2 1/2 months old, but big enough to feed the 3 of us for 1 meal. His feet were all curled up and nasty looking; it didn't seem to slow him down much, but I culled him anyway. The next one to go will be the rumpless rooster (no pretty tail feathers for some reason)- maybe in a couple of weeks as the first one hadn't fully fledged out, which we didn't know until we'd plucked him. We had 10 roosters, and I only want 2 for the 20 hens... I figure we can have weekly or semi-weekly chicken dinners for a couple of months at least.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hens might squawk, but their sound doesn't carry like a rooster. If trying to keep a few hens in town, you can get away with it-just bribe neighbors with eggs once in awhile. LOL