hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Ugh, yeah, @wyoDreamer some of them are like that.
The GOOD news is that I was rummaging around in the barn where all our extra stuff is stored and found my hoof cradle that fits on my hoof stand!! YAY!!! Now I can put his feet on THAT instead of having to hold it myself and it will work MUCH better. The only real question is whether or not he'll cooperate for that... we'll see. He had better figure it out because this is going to be the way it's going to work. I can't easily manage holding his feet and trying to work effectively. I can sort of do it but this should save my body and be so much faster. VERY glad to put my hands on that! I also found a few other things, and figured out where some stuff was. The BF wants to "clean out" everything that is there, which is annoying because it's MY stuff. I have a plan for most of it, but he doesn't seem to be impressed. We'll see how that goes! Once we get the shed done then we can start to get that stuff cleaned out.
Speaking of the shed, we did get a bit more work done. We got the floor painted, which took a bit more effort than we thought. He got some really nice paint and the color chips to go down on it, and then we had to buy a clear to seal it, which was a little annoying, but hey, it's WELL sealed now! That will be nice for the longevity of the shed itself. He also bought the lumber for the ramp, and got that mostly finished, as well as the plywood for constructing the shelves that he wants to do. He's going to use the french cleat system (google it, there's lots of info on it) and it should be really cool once he finishes it. Everything will be very adjustable and moveable, which is super handy! Once we get that done then we just need to figure out where to put everything.
We did get the white tent out that we wanted to sell, got it set up, cleaned off (he put it away dirty, go figure) and took pictures. We left it to dry while we ran some errands, and came back and it had blown over, despite staking it down. It cracked a few pieces, but I think it's mostly ok. I had already posted it, so I lowered the price a little bit. No bites on it yet, which is annoying, but hopefully it will go soon. I want cash and I want it gone!
We went down to his brother's new house to help them do some electrical work, he was changing out all of the electrical outlets and switches, plus adding ceiling fans in all of the bedrooms, and recessed lighting in the living room. It looks great, and I can't wait to have that done in our house! He had the floors refinished, and they look really good, too. His house is almost identical to one of the houses we looked at - which is SMALLER than ours, with no easy ability to modify the house, other than potentially kicking the roof up and adding more in the attic, which would give him the ability to sacrifice one of the 3 bedrooms downstairs to create a "master" with a private bath. Of course the only issue with that is the bedrooms downstairs are TINY, like the biggest one will barely hold a queen bed tiny. His kitchen is also crazy small as well, basically a galley kitchen. But he does have a walk up attic stair, which is a really nice thing to have.
Other than that, not much happened for the weekend. We pretty much just stayed at home and worked around the house and such. I was totally fine with that!
Oh, on Saturday, we did go clean up the manure at GH's house again, and then stopped by KD's to get a big bale of hay for the barn. We weren't sure if our little tractor could handle lifting the bale, but it is SMALL BUT MIGHTY! It handled it like a champ! I'm really happy that we were able to make that work out. Especially because the gal that had been moving them for us at the barn just left on Sunday, so now we know we can be self sufficient and not worry about relying on anyone else. It means I have to rope the BF into driving the tractor for me, but at least I don't have to rely on someone else (who likes to complain about being asked to help in the first place, not that the BF doesn't do that to me, but still I can kind of hush him up!). So now we can arrange to get KD to deliver a large load of hay that should last us most of the winter. I'm REALLY happy about that!! I had having to wrangle hay in the cold/ice/snow. I think I'm going to go ahead and order bricks of small bales so that I am stocked up, too. Then I won't have to worry about almost anything the whole winter. I also talked to TM about setting up a way to put a hay net out for Storm in the field instead of throwing loose hay which would let me know that he's eating all of it and that it's staying dry and out of the mud. I think I have an easy way to make it work, I'm just going to have to experiment a little bit to make sure it can be set up just right. That would be so much nicer than carrying a pile of messy loose hay out there, too.
So good stuff happening. Now we just need to keep up with the trend!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats on all the progress on the shed. Sounds like ya'll did a great job on the floor. I did Google the French Cleat system - that's pretty cool!

Hope you get all your hay. It's such a good feeling - like money in the bank, lol!

hqueen13

Reaction score
Hay IS like money in the bank, FEM!!! LOL

I forgot to mention! While JS and I were over at JC's barn working on horses, she happened to mention that her parents bought a property down next to GH (Cowboy and Coyote) for a cool 2.3 MILLION. The property where she runs her barn is pretty much one big steep hill, or the bog at the bottom, really not suitable for farming much at all. And because it's so challenging, her parents (who own some sort of company) just decided to drop a few coins on this other property, which is drop dead gorgeous, and historic. I just hope she doesn't trash the place.
But the fun news is that she's decided to get rid of her manure spreader. And she's agreed to trade me the hay spike we had that we can't use anymore for partial payment AND is only charging me $200 for the rest of it!!! SCORE!!!!!!!! So now I can fling poop! :weee
I shouldn't be this ridiculously excited about this, but here we are. It's a VERY nice ground driven manure spreader, which will be perfect for what I need it to do. It's probably still a little bit big, but I'll have the BF take a look at it, and then see what he thinks. It's possible that we could do some minor repair work, sell it for WAY more than we bought it for, and buy something that will suite our needs better.
So now I need to figure out if it's going to be better to compost manure and then spread it, or if it will make more sense to just bring what we get from GH's back and spread it fresh and get it aerated in. Probably need to call the guy at the Mill and ask him...

Anyway... happy poop flinging dance! :celebrate

hqueen13

Reaction score
:lol: Yes, FEM. I can't wait!!!!
I just got the fall travel schedule from HR. :th Her son is a senior this year and playing football, so they are going to *every* game... which means that from now until the middle of November she has me booked all but ONE weekend. And one of the cats needs to be fed 3 times a day. It's good money, but dang... this is going to be interesting. I'd better be putting in extra hours in the office so I can make sure I have enough money to fill the gas tank! It's going to be a HUGE help, though, really, for my business budget. It's going to give me a break to get some things taken care of, and hopefully, maybe, just maybe, let me make a payment on my credit card so I can get that down a tiny bit. I'll easily be able to get the spreader now, and of course, we still have the work to finish for GH, and do the work for TW that she wants done. So that's extra moolah, too. It's a relief, but I'm also looking at my calendar a little :hide

We got the final clear coat on the shed floor, so now we can start putting things in it! I'm so excited for this project to be moving along, too. I hope that tonight we'll be able to put some of the big things that have to sit on the floor in it so that we can start figuring out where the things will go on the wall. The BF last night decided he had changed his mind, and so I suggested we put the big stuff in that doesn't easily move, and then we can plan what goes on the walls from there. That means his tool box can get out of the floor in the basement, and we can begin moving some things out of the old shed. We have some concepts for where a few things will go, but we will just have to take some time to work out the rest of it. I'm so ready to keep moving forward with this!
The neighbor stopped over last night and gave the BF the $100 he owed him from the job they did together. Both of us had written it off because they are in a much tougher situation right now than we are, but he insisted on paying him. So that is a little bit of money towards the roof now, which helps. Now if we can get that dang tent sold, and then maybe if I can get the records sold then we'll have enough to make a dent in the cost of the roof. I'm totally not going to be surprised if it costs close to $500, or even over, really. The BF is probably not going to like that, but I am mentally prepared for it anyway. It's bigger than the hay feeder roofs that we've put on, and we will actually need all the real trim for it to do it right. I did get a $10 off your purchase of $100 from home depot, so there's that...

The BF got a 4% raise, which is about $1.00, which is a pretty significant amount. It's more than the other guys got that he's aware of, so that's a good thing. Most of them were complaining, but that's all they ever do, so they got less than the BF got. Not that he doesn't complain, but he is their best driver, so at he's got that going for him so his complaining isn't quite as bad as theirs. Now if I can just get to talk to my boss, we'll see.
Speaking of that, I sent him an email Tuesday going over the projects that I've managed since the last time we had this conversation. Then that night I had a dream that we were in his office watching a movie like Castaway, but instead of it just being 1 person on the island stranded, it was like 3, and they had a horse that they were riding around, and then we were critiquing their decisions about how they were trying to survive and get rescued. :idunno Then the next thing that happened was I was in my office and doing some work and everybody came in, and they had flowers for me, and handed me a check for $2000 and said thank you for all your hard work. I was really over whelmed and surprised, because that is NOT the boss's style what so ever. It was soooo bizarre! I'd love a $2000 check, that sure would go a long way to helping things right now, but that was just really strange! Frankly a plain ol raise would be sufficient!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Loved your dream - hope it comes true! Acknowledgement that you are doing a good job is always nice to hear - but cash talks too! :)

hqueen13

Reaction score
No kidding, FEM!

WE FINISHED THE SHED!!!! :weee:weee:weee:celebrate:weee:weee:weee
Ok, so the outside is done. We went to Home Depot on Saturday morning to get the price for the metal roof, and when the total climbed to $466, without the screws and a couple other small parts, the BF decided that he'd rather do shingles. He had to go help the neighbor EL finish the patio job they started a while back, and so Sunday morning he want back to Home Depot and got the shingles and all the needed supplies, which only came to $350 (and it looks like we'll be able to take one pack of shingles back, too!). We got started around lunch time, and EL came over about 1 and then they started to get it knocked out in a couple of hours. After they got started the other neighbor came out and said, hey, I have a pneumatic nailer... do you want to use it?? The BF was like YES! Next thing we know he brings out the nailer and a WHOLE box of nails! That made it go even faster, and so they were finished by about 5. It looks really good, and now we can start figuring out how to organize everything inside so we can move on to ripping the old one down! I'm SO ready for this project to be DONE.

Other than that, not much happened this weekend. I tried to sell a party tent that we had, but that didn't work out. I had a couple of bites, but then they flaked out, and then the one guy that actually met me decided it wasn't strong enough for what he wanted to do. I was really disappointed with that because it would have been REALLY helpful to have that cash to offset the cost of the shingles. SO it goes. Hopefully I can get it sold this week. I also have a guy stopping by one afternoon this week to look over the 300ish records that we have in the house. I have a feeling he's not going to find anything worth while, but I'd rather have someone double check before I sell them to my coworker's hubby who makes clocks out of them! I'd rather keep them as records if they have value as records than find out several years from now after they've been made into clocks that they could have been worth a lot more!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woo Hoo! Congrats on getting the shed done! I know that's a huge thing to get off your plate. Hope you have a couple records that are total collectors items in there and will cover the cost of the shed roof - and then some! Wouldn't that be nice. Hope the tent sells soon. :fl

hqueen13

Reaction score
Thanks FEM!
I called the guy yesterday, so he's supposed to stop by on Wednesday, I just need to confirm the time with him. Even if he doesn't buy any, I at least know I can sell them to my coworker's hubby who makes the clocks and stuff out of them. It won't be for as much as if they're collector's items, but at least it's something. And they'll be OUT of my house!
Yesterday we were both a bit grumpy when we got home, and so we kind of grumbled at each other for a bit, and then finally decided to go outside and get some organizing done on the shed. We got started and I made the BF pull everything out of the shed that wasn't staying exactly where it was sitting. We pulled down all the tools off the wall that he had put up there because most of them were probably going to move anyway. Then we put the tiller and snow blower where they're going to sit since they take up so much space on the floor (might sell the snow blower, anyway, we have a tractor, we don't really need a snow blower at this point...). I then made him go get his tool box out of the house :)celebrate) and so we used the tractor to move it across the yard (thank goodness for the tractor!). Once that was in place, we got his work bench top out of the old shed and put it where he wanted it to go. At that point that was most of the big stuff, and it was getting late and the mosquitoes were getting bad, so we called it a night. The next steps will be to get his work bench set, and get the cabinets installed over top of it. Then he can hang the yard tools on the wall above the tiller and snow blower, and get the ladders hung on the wall, and then we can work on the shelves. I'm SO ready to have this project DONE!
Now we just have to find the time to keep working on it, along with everything else that needs to be done... I'm about 1500 miles over due for my oil change (just been too busy) and my truck desperately needs to be cleaned. My barn chores are going to take up most of the morning now on Sundays, so that takes away time that we could be working to get things done. We need to get GH's barn finished, and TW wanted us to move the piles of dirt that we tried to clear out from their run in shed. That's money that could be made, and I'd really like to do that, but the BF is dragging his feet. I just want to get it DONE and out of the way so we can move forward with other things. We'll see how things come together, hopefully the weather continues to cooperate so we can keep working on stuff.