hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know where you're coming from. I had a very needy mother as well, and it got even worse when dementia set in. Ugh, I'm getting shivers just remembering almost 10 years without a life of my own.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Years ago, I tried the same thing with my employer. Not demanding anything, but pointing out that his business had doubled in the time I had been there, and in a one-girl office my work load had increased significantly. He said he would think about it. The following week, he called me in and fired me- citing one time that I had not told him he had a message waiting for him as soon as he walked in the door. Poor baby, he had to walk over to my desk and ask me. Granted, maybe I should have told him, but when he came in, I was working on a project he had given me, and I didn't remember the message (which was actually sitting on his desk).

So, be prepared, in case your employer does something like that.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh dang - your truck adventures were so NOT fun! I hate to break down - hate when repairs are attempted on the side of the road (which sometimes is all you can do) and hate even worse when the rescue vehicle breaks down! Geeze - so much not fun you had! Hope the new part fixes it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
in this heat, getting under a car with gas fumes would probably kill me dead... :( hope the repairs work out!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh boy - the family situation is so not fun. I hope you can get it settled - but sometimes you just have to remove yourself from the craziness!

Congrats on the new fridge! It'll make your life easier for sure. I love the no interest deals!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
be careful in this heat to make sure you get plenty of water to drink! having just seen someone go through heat-stroke it's not something you want to mess with.

congrats on new fridge too! :)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Thanks yall!!
And yes, @flowerbug I stay very well hydrated. I carry around a 24oz bottle with me that is the double walled stainless steel, and it gets filled multiple times a day, plus I keep a stock of Body Armor drinks in the house, and if I've been out working and sweating a lot I will drink at least half of one of those, too. My grandfather had heat stroke years ago, and so we all learned about staying hydrated not just with gatorade, but water, too.

It's STILL hot. And now it's back to humid, too. We have gotten a little rain, about 3/4" the other day, and then 1/8" the other night. Not enough to make the grass get good and green again, but every little bit helps.
The garden his humming along. It might be too hot for the tomatoes to ripen, but we'll see. They are starting to show up on the vines, and there are blooms everywhere. The cucumber is producing like crazy, I already gave my neighbor some, and I expect there will be more to give, probably now since I haven't looked at the plant in a few days. The zucchini is growing nicely, no blooms yet, and the beans are trying, though they don't look all that great. The onions look like they're close to ready for harvest, but none of them have blooms yet, and I don't know if you're supposed to wait until they get blooms on them or not. I suppose I could harvest them now, but I'd rather wait if I can. The potatoes are doing good, too, they're getting all leggy and starting to fall over, so they'll be ready soon, too.

I'm finally meeting my boss today. We'll see how that goes, and if he's ready on time. My top priorities are getting a new schedule/routine set up for meetings with him so we can keep projects moving. My next priority is discussing my pay scale with him so that it can better match my contributions to the company compared to when I was hired. I don't plan on asking for anything specific, but I want to make sure he understands where I started, the fact that I've barely moved from there, and that new hires are coming in above where I am currently.

Not much else happening at this point. The same old busy that it has been anyway.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for the bulbing onions i just wait until the stems start falling over and then that is the sign they are done. they need to be cured/dried well before storing them.

flowering for onions depends upon the type of onion, but the bulbing kind usually bloom the 2nd year or if you happen to have a larger onion set that you plant it might bloom. the bulb onions we grow are from live starts that get planted so they don't bloom unless i don't get it harvested and it comes back the next year. sometimes those plants can keep dividing and keep blooming for some years past that too, but that is because the bulb is dividing.

hope the meeting goes well too!