hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
HAHAHA, yall are too funny. I feed my cats a raw diet, and the meat is actually chicken or beef offal, so not for human consumption since it's got organ meats and things in it. I mix the chicken and beef and make little portions for them so that I just grab one little bag with 2 meatballs in it for each meal. That way I can buy a whole lot of meat and it won't go bad feeding it to them. It's annoying, and I make them up about every 10 days, but they seem to do fairly well on it (other than when one of them is battling a hairball, like right now, and they puke after ever meal... :rolleyes:)

Not much else has changed. Governor issued the stay at home order, which doesn't technically change anything. A number of places are offering letters stating what essential business you have being out, which is nice. I hope I don't need them, though. Agriculture is counted as essential here, of course, and there is a LOT of it, so it shouldn't really be an issue. The BF got a letter along with several attachments from his work as well, so he's covered, too. He, at least, has a uniform that he wears (he certainly doesn't wear reflective clothes for the fun of it! :gig), I just have barn clothes and my word, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Not much else has changed, still doing the same ol things. The office schedule continues to get lighter and lighter. I'm waiting for him to announce the first round of furloughs, but we'll see what happens. One of the other girls saw a sticky note in his office with a list of names on it and was all worried about what that meant. Her name wasn't on it, and the list of names was certainly not who I would expect him to keep (or send home permanently) as a group, so it didn't make much sense to me. I told her that she should not spend time reading into it at this point because we really have no idea what's going to happen, and it's likely the boss will change his mind half a dozen times anyway. I know of wish he'd just furlough me so I can stop worry about keeping up with work, but we'll see what happens. I also don't want to worry about the money, either, so there's that! Thankfully this pay check was FAT so that keeps things fairly well covered for a while anyway. I'm very grateful all this mess happened now and not last month because February is always a rough month since it's so short.
The BF was really sweet and spread more of the compost last night, and put down some grass seed, so now we just have to work to maintain stuff, and get the garden edging put in and things like that. Need to get the second box made, too, so that we can get it filled as well. I still haven't decided where to put it, the yard is just awkward and I'm not totally happy with any of the places that we could put it. I REALLY wanted to put two terraces in on the hill that was made from the driveway, but that was going to cost over $300 in lumber for the retaining wall, and we just didn't have that right now. So it goes.
I'm a little frustrated because I found a great system for SR to use, but they decided that they didn't want to do it YET. I'm like the longer you wait to implement this, the harder it is going to be to get it done and make the transition. I'll have to see if I can talk to him today and get them to commit to it because they've GOT to do something different because they're going to burn too much time trying to organize orders and it's just not worth it when they could be actually working with the veggies and food they are going to sell. People resist change and technology so hard sometimes!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Much better than where my mind went - I have been looking into feeding raw to the dogs. Our shepherd is constantly chewing his feet and begging for us to scratch his back. I am sure he as some sort of allergy, but it is DH's dog and he won't admit there is a problem. Besides, unless I raise an animal to butcher to feed the dogs, it would probably cost too much to feed a 120 pound dog a raw diet...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had a dog that was always itching and stuff-- it got so bad that he finally had no hair growing on the lower part of his back and tail. We finally figured out he was allergic to the soy in the dog food. Once we switched to a non-soy brand, everything cleared right up. I felt bad that it took so long to figure it out; we thought it was fleas.