Hubby is on board to get pigs!!!! click to see questions.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I know others have said that a PB is not the best, but I figure bacon is bacon and I'm not one to look a gift pig in the mouth.
thems are just small cuts of ham, brother, go forth and getcher pig! whooot!

ps check out how me and Free feed them pigs for a nice and juicy one
;-)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Yep, it is in the early pages of my pig thread last year, maybe page 5? Page 8? Really easy and still intact!

Page 8 http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4831&p=8
Excellent! I may do something similar, and if I do, I plan on making mine a bit more along the lines of a Picasso painting. You know, weird, crooked lines and leaning at odd angles. Years ago my wife started telling people, "Yes, he meant to have it look like that. He's always been a fan of Picasso". She comes from a long line of skilled carpenters, and I come from a long line of lumberphobics. :rolleyes:

ThisOldCabin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Congrats on getting some pigs.We got 2 4 month old gilts for $40 each about 5 weeks ago.They are landracer/hampshire cross.We are feeding them stuff from the garden plus corn plus any scraps we have.They are in a cattle panel pen about 16'x20' behind the barn.They have a old camper shell for a house and we will be adding hay to that when it gets colder.We will also be doing the butchering and processing ourselves.We have the tools and have done it many times before.And we do make pets out of them because thats makes them easier to handle and if they get out we can just call them back.Doesn't make it any harder on us either because we know they are treated well and are happy and when it comes time to butcher we understand they have grew and done their best to be what they are,food.
I would recommend you get females unless you can castrate males or know someone who can.We always beleive a smaller pen allowed them to fatten better because with too much room they can run off all their fat.Best of luck.:)

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Around here weaners (just mutt pigs) go for around $30-60 each... there's a heritage breed farm in Nova Scotia, just across the border from us, that sells Tamworths but their weaners are $200, more if you want the papers so you can breed them. Depending on your area purebred pigs might cost a lot more...

There was a pig scramble at our fair a few weeks ago and I desperately tried to find an 8 year old child willing to catch a pig for me but didn't have any luck. My nephew will do it in two years, but he was too young this year. lol Course by then the animal rights people may succeed in having it banned.

Congrats on getting hubby on board! I can't wait to get my own pigs but it mght be waiting until we have more land.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, the pigs are on hold until we sell our house. Hubby thinks they won't show well. :lol: Praying the house sells quickly.