Hum... how to get the beeswax out of my nice comb to make lip balm.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a nice jar with orange blossom honey with a huge hunk of comb in it. I have been wanting to make my own lip balm for awhile now and just also got a great jar of good coconut oil.. Question is.. I know I can drain off most of the liquid honey and let it drip for a day or so but I am thinking that if I melt the rest of the chunk in a double boiler will the wax float to the top of the small amount of honey? I don't mind honey in my lip balm and I may just love it that way.. is there a better way to get the beeswax..
I don't mind if a small amount of honey will not be raw any longer.
it should be enuf for my small recipe.. I only need a tablespoon of beeswax.
What do you think?

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We usually rinse the wax/comb in water and let it dry before melting. We use a crockpot (used only for this purpose) to melt- but for such a small amount I would use the microwave...Good luck!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a small candy melting double boiler for doing chocolate figured it would work nicely.. I don't want to waste any of the honey so was planning on melting it as soon as I could get most of the honey dripped off it and then just washing the wax a bit after it was melted/cooled and the top solidify. So rinsing it would be best before using in my recipe?
The recipe is the simplest one I've seen..
two tablespoons coconut oil
one tablespoon beeswax
one drop flavoring(if desired)
melt together and pour in clean tubes or in little tub. I have three tubes that I've cleaned the remains of the chapstic out of and was planning on just filling them(carefully! lol)

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just made calandula salve the other day. It was super simple- and using the beeswax was really cool. Sounds like your recycled chapstick tubes will work perfectly! Rinse before you melt, so your honey doesn't burn during the melt.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a quick question, where do you get coconut oil? Have looked for some but can't find any.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
I have a quick question, where do you get coconut oil? Have looked for some but can't find any.
The local health food store had it on sale I got a pint sized mason jar full of cold emmpeller(so) pressed coconut oil for $6.. only one left as he switched to a more expensive(to me that is) kind. it was normally $12.
But my local big box store has two different brands in their vitamin area..(meijer) more expensive tho.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lesa said:
I just made calandula salve the other day. It was super simple- and using the beeswax was really cool. Sounds like your recycled chapstick tubes will work perfectly! Rinse before you melt, so your honey doesn't burn during the melt.
even when using the double boiler? I will make super sure it just hits melting point and then put it aside. the inner part of the double boiler is thick ceramic and will have a bit of residual heat to finish melting it.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sheesh where are my manners today! Thanks for all the input everyone!:D

Latest posts