hunterjumper999- This garden stuff is getting easier !

hunterjumper999

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
so far I'm loving under the dome... i'm right at the end where they have located the flashing 'generator' in the orchard :)

I have a theory on it but im not going to spoil it for everyone.

I'm just going to use this to post my daily SS attempts... so pardon the basic look if it doenst quite measure up to everyones real journals :)

Today I ordered my seeds . I was going to just get them at the feedstore and try to stay local but they do not order their seed for another month at least. I'm trying to have plants ready to plant in march... so that would mean that I'd have to start them indoors mid febuary not just get the seeds in almost march...

we're going to do

watermelons , peppers, cabbage, cucumbers ( 2 varieties) , squash ( summer and winter) pumpkins, sunflowers, various butterfly/hummingbird flowers since i accidentally mowed mine down last year, tomatoes ( 5 types) , hot peppers (6 types) , dwarf fruit trees ( pom, plum, and apricot) and I'm sure i'll pick up more from the feed store in a month and a half ( onions, potatoes and sweet tators)

the guy is coming tomorrow to give me an estimate on discing the garden and pulling up some stumps... i hope we can barter the price some... if he gives a good estimate we SHOULD have at least a 3/4 acre garden this year!

the mans coming thursday to give me a timeframe for fixing our well... adding several spigiots to the line and putting a line out to the garden. this way the garden waters 'free' at least.

I also ordered my meaties! I ordered 25 cornish x chickens and 25 colored rangers. I will start their pen tomorrow.

i pick up my dog from the trainers tonight- shes been there a week getting worked on for personal protection ( she already has obedience I II and III) i get to meet her possible boyfriend tonight too :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Welcome to SS fellow horse person. :frow (Even though mine are all old now and retired at my D1's house.)

hunterjumper999

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
sheesh. I'm really bad at this logging in thing. I tend to lurk on forums and so i forgot I even posted this journal.

Today DF and I worked on the house for four hours and never got out of the bedroom and didn't even get to the walk in closet. However, we cleaned the bathroom top to bottom and the baseboard and everything else in there...bed included and murphy oil soaped the floor by hand (well DF did, I am not a huge fan of the cleaning ) . Tomorrow I'll work on the hallway , office and maybe the spare room . We moved outside at about noon and it was BEAUTIFUL! it was about 65 degrees at 3pm! We accomplished so much. We found out that the beds of dirt bordering our carport are actually edged gardens with beautiful slate stones... good because we couldnt afford slate ourselves!

We dug abunch out by the patio and got the beds by the carport done.

Beyond that we're excited to plant our Knockout roses and get the garden plowed up and tilled. Tinas focusing on the flowers and bulbs this year and I'm handling the veggies.

Picture time :)

26475_544045571732_58102172_31963749_5911223_n.jpg

26475_544045576722_58102172_31963750_1060382_n.jpg

26475_544045506862_58102172_31963747_2421509_n.jpg

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You have some nice looking soil. What part of the country are you in? I'm always curious where people are! :)

hunterjumper999

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
im in sandy clay-y georgia..

Im going out for a few hours but i'm going to post pictures of our dirt in various areas...maybe someone can guide me on whats the best soil for planting :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Waving from CT, but not the NY side.... the RI side!
You are making anxious to start gardening. :cool:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
To my eye picture # 1 looks like the most humus rich, but it also looks full of roots and debris. Is it in a shady area as well? There may be competition from other trees and plants in this area.

Picture #2 looks as you said very sandy and full of clay. Depending on HOW much sand there is it might be a good place to grow root crops like carrots. Carrots and such like a sandy loose soil as long as they still get plenty of water.

Picture #3 looks like there may be some gypsum or other mineral present. You should do a soil test and see this may be an alkaline soil. If so many vegetables like soil that is sweet. Especially leafy veggies like cabbage and lettuces.

Over all I would say mulch, mulch, mulch and add as much compost to your soil as you can. Organic matter will help hold water in the sand, loosen the clay to allow drainage and add nutrients in all of the rest.

Is that what you were wanting to hear?