Hunting for food...does it justify the cost?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Not unless you are real good friends with a farmer in your own state who happens to have corn crops as his major agricultural endeavor and even then you are hindered by the legal limit and the season in which you are hunting. :p

Here in WV we have the same rule as previously mentioned...we don't have to buy a license if we are hunting our own acreage.
And most states charge big time for an out of state license and it is darn hard to pretend that you are an in state resident!

We used to have orchards in NY. If the deer yard up in your orchard for a winter storm they start eating the tree bark which kills the trees. So we had a permit to kill as many as needed whenever needed. We were supposed to hang the deer and report the kill, basicaly game wardens dont like to walk through deep snow so I don;t think they ever checked up on us or we would have seen the tracks.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dillpickle said:
I just read that Texas allows hunters to kill wild hogs year-round without limits! I wonder how many hogs there are/competition since im sure there are plenty of hog hunters because of this.
Feral hogs are a problem in many states they are vicious dangerous animals that can and will kill and eat humans. look it up.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
any all time hunter should get a sportsmen lifetime license.

Hubby paid like $250 for his. covers all hunting. he does not buy deer tags or fishing license or anything. all covered for life. He has MORE than made this cost back.

we bought kiddo one for $300 when she was born. I know the NC ones are now $500. I am so glad I bought her one already LOL

ya'll need to go out and get lifetime licenses with your states. I would think they would offer like NC does???

dillpickle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have been researching for hours on this topic and the main problem seems to be not the amo or the license but the LAND. Prices to hunt on land are insane unless you are good friends with someone who is already set up.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pay to hunt? ugh, you gotta move :lol:

my friends dairy is 400 acres, backs up to our 55 acres, then we have the 80 acres which backs to a friends farm of 90 acres.....and so on and so on.

we are country. all our friends have land like us. we sure would never think of paying.....well, hubby is thinking of a few paid guide trips to hunt big things out west and gator hunt in the south.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Are there no public lands to hunt in your area? We have several around here. I'm not sure what the regulations are for hunting on them since I know enough landowners that will let us on their property to hunt, but others aren't so lucky, so that's where they hunt.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dillpickle said:
I have been researching for hours on this topic and the main problem seems to be not the amo or the license but the LAND. Prices to hunt on land are insane unless you are good friends with someone who is already set up.
Are you a city person? Because we darn well do charge city people to hunt our land. Some that have had bad experince with city hunters won't allow them at any price. there is nothing to make up for the sound of a bullet ziping throuch the air or digging the bullets out of buildings. neighbors have had their livestock and pets killed, fences cut,gates left open etc. I can tell tales about city hunters all day but my story is typical:
Early on opening day I was having breakfast when I heard a BANG and went rushing out my front door to find a city hunter in my front lawn about to finish off a deer he had knocked down. I knew in a glance what i had, the truck was still running out to the road and the fool had a spotlight attached to his hat. I told him to finish him and I would get a bag to soak up the blood so he didn't get his truck dirty. Called 911 grabbed my shotgun and a bag and went out to stall til the cops arrived. I started chattering with the guy and asked how he happened to spot the deer. he said he could see it because it was backlighted by my picture window [where I was eating] Stopped his truck and shot it. jabber,jabber and finally the deputy that lives just up the road arrived. [I had told 911 man with a gun, shots fired, my name and address and left the phone off the hook] The deputy had his gun out and told us to drop ours. I did and said I was the person that called. to shorten they got him for hunting out of season [didn't start til sunup, hunting from the road, hunting on posted property and jacklighting [light on hat] That is why we charge to hunt!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
There is public hunting land in Mississippi. DP check it out. You will find something close. Just be sure to wear your orange, drop a ticket in the box as you go in so they will know you are there, and have your hunting license up to date because they usually check you either coming or going.