Hunting for food (in New Zealand)

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello. I am very new to this site, a huge part of my self sufficient lifestyle is getting my own meat. We dont have seasons for hunting here and deer are registered as a pest so we can shoot anything and any amount. I usually average 15-20 deer per year, all red deer and Fallow. I still have my own ethics in which I don't shoot pregnant hinds, but many people do here and its not a problem. Picture of one of my last stags. I find it interesting the different style of hunting between here (NZ) and the US. I really dont know why that pic is upside down !
tempImagenAPllD.png

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice deer. We have a no season, no limit, kill all you want, on feral hogs here in Texas. It’s even legal to shoot them from helicopters. The older hogs meat is pretty nasty, the young ones are good to eat. They have no predators, hogs are so mean that nothing wants to tangle with them.

With that much free meat running around, it sure helps on the grocery bill. Do you do anything with the hides or antlers? Custom knife makers like the antlers for handles.

Deer hunting here is a big business. Hunters have deer feeders, spend money on hunting gear, and pay for a deer lease. Most hunters take their prize to be processed. The price per pound for the final product is probably in the hundreds of dollars. LOL

I’ve hunted family land, shot, skinned, gutted, quartered and packed in ice. Taken home and processed my own. Haven’t hunted in years.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hunting in Wisconsin is all regulated by the state with permit system. The Dept. of Natural Resources makes a lot of money off the licenses and uses it for management of state lands and conservation efforts.
The deer population is higher than the DNR wants it in alot of areas so some areas can get "extra tags" for does in those areas. Last year I could have gotten an extra 4 doe tags.

I think I will get a license and try for a doe with my crossbow this fall. Haven't hunted since I moved back to Wisconsin 8 years ago. I really want some venison for the freezer.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Your family must be large? Or your deer are small?

I'm in Wisconsin, with regulated deer hunting. DH harvests 2 fawns and a doe - if he is lucky enough to pick from what deer wander by. That, plus a lamb from our pasture is plenty for my family for a year. We buy <10 pounds of bacon per year, rarely buy chicken, and buy local beef steak once or twice a year.

I can't quite imagine harvesting 15 deer in a year!

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have a lot of wild pigs but its very difficult to get one without dogs, they rarely will come into the open country. And I do miss wild pork and hunting them with dogs. Our wild pigs dont get as big as in the US, average is 150 lbs with the occasional 200 pounder. I have seen videos on the wild pigs in Texas, its mind blowing ! Helicopter shooting for deer was huge here from the 1960's to 80's to control the numbers and meat export.
Wapiti deer (Elk) are regulated in the only part of the country where they are established, they are still not protected or anything but their is a management group that encourages only very large trophy stags be taken to preserve younger stags, as trophy hunting is huge money from overseas hunters.

Depending on where I am hunting I may only be able to carry out the meat boned off the animal, or just the back legs/back steaks. Some areas are very rugged with the bush and mountains, its just not possible to carry the entire animal on my back when it could be a 7-8 hour walk back out to the road. Being able to get the entire animal out on a quad bike is a luxury and only happens on farms with wild animals coming out of the bush/national parks.

Red deer are pretty large, a stag can be around 250 lbs. I am eating venison everyday as 80% of my diet is meat. I also give it away and barter as well. I do all my own butchery, basically steaks and sausage making.
I have a number of farms that ask me to come and shoot deer for them when numbers are getting too high, they will usually let me take one for myself if I want it, or give me a box of beer as a thank you.

I keep the antlers, I only have three sets on my wall in the house, First red stag, first 12 pointer red, and first Fallow Buck. The rest of the antlers are piled up in a shed, I will use for handles, make a chandelier and other projects I can think of.

Attachments

• A7680AE6-3CF6-42FB-BB72-EC2BE4C1F952.jpeg
    A7680AE6-3CF6-42FB-BB72-EC2BE4C1F952.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 110

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we're not much for eating venison here, but i do like the venison and pork mixed together kind of sausage. that's perfect for me once in a while.

similar to @wyoDreamer Michigan has a "managed" deer herd by the state (EQD/DNR/whatever they're calling themselves this year) but what it comes down to most of the time is that the population is managed by the weather and how many vehicles run them over.

i'd be very happy if the wolves were allowed to come back as then at least there would be a natural predator that would eat the sick and frail ones and also keep the numbers down. humans just cannot do the same thing that wolves can do. we do have coyotes around but they do not take down deer that often.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we're not much for eating venison here, but i do like the venison and pork mixed together kind of sausage. that's perfect for me once in a while.

similar to @wyoDreamer Michigan has a "managed" deer herd by the state (EQD/DNR/whatever they're calling themselves this year) but what it comes down to most of the time is that the population is managed by the weather and how many vehicles run them over.

i'd be very happy if the wolves were allowed to come back as then at least there would be a natural predator that would eat the sick and frail ones and also keep the numbers down. humans just cannot do the same thing that wolves can do. we do have coyotes around but they do not take down deer that often.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have seen videos of Wolves being hunted in Idaho I think, are they now becoming a pest because they are breeding so well ? I can't even imagine what it would be like to hunt an animal as large as a wolf or bear

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some areas are very rugged with the bush and mountains, its just not possible to carry the entire animal on my back when it could be a 7-8 hour walk back out to the road
😲😲😲 Wow, that's a long walk in to even hunt! Is there nothing closer, easier? Have you considered a pack animal? No such adventures in my area, so utterly amazing to even consider.

Here, the white tales are fat and sassy on croplands, hiding in woods during day, mostly. I'm in Virginia, USA. Hunters take them dawn and dusk. State requires license to hunt.

Latest posts