Hunting for food (in New Zealand)

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Very nice, is that White tail or Mule deer ? We have White Tail here way down the bottom of the country on an Island called Stewart Island, I haven't been there yet. My butchery is fairly basic, Steaks and everything else is processed into sausages which I do myself.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I believe that is a whitetail rack. Nice rack too.
Whitetail have single points off the beam and most mule deer have forks coming off the main beam.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mule deer split, then will split again for more tines.

Both of these were Eastern Oregon mule deer. The one just aged for a decade or 3 on my parents wood pile. I did have a 4x5 skull that I'd painted up and decorated but someone who broke in decided they liked it better than me.

3 point
20220913_201153.jpg

we couldn't decide if the points were long enough to be considered a 4 point on this one. Brow tines aren't counted normally here. I know deer are counted different on the east side of the US
20220913_201037.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here in NE Wisconsin, we count everything that you can hang a ring on, lol.
I would prefer to shoot a doe than a buck, because the doe tastes better without the rut hormones. My saying is "you don't eat the rack". lol
The one set of horns that I have, I mounted myself and hang in my sewing room. DH says no horns in the living room!

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
nice antlers. The most common deer here to hunt is red deer, a 12 pointer is considered a trophy. But I have shot a lot of 10 pointers way bigger than my 12's.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never taken deer to a processor. It is fairly easy to do at home. Since I live in a hot climate, sometimes even in winter, I quarter the carcass and pack in ice in an ice chest. Drain the water daily and add more ice for a few days, then process.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've never taken deer to a processor. It is fairly easy to do at home. Since I live in a hot climate, sometimes even in winter, I quarter the carcass and pack in ice in an ice chest. Drain the water daily and add more ice for a few days, then process.
I used to have an old fridge I would quarter and hang meat in, it worked ok. I will be building an insulated chiller shed on my land, I should be able to pick up a large air con unit to cool it.