Hunting season has arrived! But I have no place to hunt...

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
AND IT SUCKS!!! :tongue Four guns(and a bow) and I have no place to shoot them! BUT, I do have traps and critters. :) And trapping season starts Nov. 13th here. I have four reasons to get my resident trapper- three possums and a coon since July. I might get to practice tanning this winter.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
AND IT SUCKS!!! :tongue Four guns(and a bow) and I have no place to shoot them! BUT, I do have traps and critters. :) And trapping season starts Nov. 13th here. I have four reasons to get my resident trapper- three possums and a coon since July. I might get to practice tanning this winter.
I WANNA FARM!!!
For the time being my friend, there is at least one thing to consider.
If you really want a farm there is only one way to get one. That is to become absolutely driven to getting it and let nothing get in your way. It can be done. You just have to take the"bull by the horns" and stop letting other issues block your path. Remember, just saying it won't make it happen!

As for hunting right now, consider this. If all in this country who owned guns and bows (I am included) went out hunting for "whatever" on one day, the population of game would be decimated nearly over night. This would be bad. We have cattle and hog farmers who provide our country and parts of the world with enough meat to feed everyone handsomely. We are fortunate in this country to have such wealth as to be able to buy what meat we want for relatively little cost. My sister lives and works in Germany. She came to my farm not long ago and admitted that meat was to her a very expensive luxury because of the extravagant cost of it in Europe. What I am saying here is "Be grateful for what we have in this land" because it isn't as bountiful in other places.

A friend recently asked me "Do you go hunting?" and I told them that "I know how but the only thing I have ever hunted, shot back at me". Since I now own 4 head of cattle, 3 of which are currently bred, I am not in the mindset to need to hunt at this time. Obviously that could change.

You are on the other hand plagued with varmints who apparently invade your space and cause havoc (I assume this from the types you mention). Catching such critters is way easier with a live trap, which will then give you the option of dispatching the prey at your choosing, rather than waste your time hunting them; particularly since the ones you mention are nocturnal. The point I am trying to make is "work smarter, not harder".

Hope this gives you some varied perspective on your concerns.
Best
Trim sends

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
You should have access to the national parks & public lands in your area where hunting is allowed. This is a good link to get you started.

http://www.agfc.com/hunting/Pages/HuntingWheretohunt.aspx
I've been all over this sight. I missed the application deadline for this year for the WMA's. :he

Icu- I want to farm and hunt because I am AFRIAD of the mass produced meats and produce. Yes there is alot of it, but I want to see the face of the animal that will provide food for me and my family to ensure it is natural and healthy. When I see a styrofoam package of meat all I can think is "How did this animal live/die? What was it's condition when I it died?"

As far as the "critters", I have un-baited live traps near my chicken coops as a security measure. In November, I will bait them for the purpose of trapping and dispatching whatever I catch. The furs sell, and the body will make good compost. It also brings a feeling of security that there is one less critter wandering around my coops at night. I also use traps when I have a garden and do not wish for little critters to partake of my hard earned bounty. Until I aquire my farm, this is all I have to work with. I do hunt and trap. I hunt to provide animal protiens/fats for my family and trap to ensure that any botanical food is safe. I respect your opinions and your freedom of speech. :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My dh went around nd knocked on farmers doors, asking if he could hunt on their property. Might wrok for you. It took a while to find good land to hunt on though. IDK if it helped, but he took my dd with him, and at the end of the season, he brings the land owners a roast.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
As for hunting right now, consider this. If all in this country who owned guns and bows (I am included) went out hunting for "whatever" on one day, the population of game would be decimated nearly over night.
This is why, at least in Canada, we have draws , our MNR studies the deer, etc., population and sets their quotas accordingly. YOu gotta enter the draw for an antlerless tag, and you gott abuy a buck tag, they keep track of how many are harvested , and that helps them set new quotas for the following year.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
As for hunting right now, consider this. If all in this country who owned guns and bows (I am included) went out hunting for "whatever" on one day, the population of game would be decimated nearly over night.
This is why, at least in Canada, we have draws , our MNR studies the deer, etc., population and sets their quotas accordingly. YOu gotta enter the draw for an antlerless tag, and you gott abuy a buck tag, they keep track of how many are harvested , and that helps them set new quotas for the following year.
We have limits. I missed out this year. Only so many can be harvested only so many does ect. There can only be so many permits. I learned to hunt in Garner AR and they are on restiction until the population grows enough to allow hunting. Our Wildlife management keeps tabs on all the hunting zones, how many deer are estimated to be there and how many they think can be hunted without damaging the population. You can't just wake up one morning and say "I'm gonna go kill a deer".

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
I've been all over this sight. I missed the application deadline for this year for the WMA's. :he
Double :he

That stinks... We can get our permits at wally world, same as a hunting license.

The deer population in MS is so high that the MDWF&P (Wildlife, Fisheries & Parks) has to allow certain areas (like Oxford & near Stennis Space Center) to spotlight & harvest the deer. The meat gets donated to area food pantries (which I think is a MARVELOUS idea). We are near the top of the J-Curve here...

I'd say come on down/over & I'll take you to Malmaison (beautiful WMA area), but the cheapest non-resident license is $125 :ep

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
My dh went around nd knocked on farmers doors, asking if he could hunt on their property. Might wrok for you. It took a while to find good land to hunt on though. IDK if it helped, but he took my dd with him, and at the end of the season, he brings the land owners a roast.
That works well around here too. Especially since we are plagued with too many deer. My dad begs people to come hunt on his farm. We get really tired of putting electric fence back up and they eat everything you've got in sight (despite having plenty of forage). My dad, brother, BIL and my husband, as well as several of my dad's friends hunt on his property and still we are overrun. No need to bring back a gift. :) Take my deer---please! One year one of my dad's friends shot the biggest 10-pointer that has ever come off our farm. He had it mounted and gave it to my dad, which I thought was cool.

That being said, although I don't have DNR stats, most people around here hunt--we take 3 or 4 deer ourselves. Some people I know, the whole family hunts and they bag like 20 or so per year! (Landowners can get 9 deer each, counting all the seasons and stamps). We barely put a dent in our whitetail deer population. Which equals more dents in your car! :/

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I am blessed to have two farms to hunt. One I hunt all by myself and the other I share with 3-4 other hunters, so I use it as a backup plan. ;)

I also help both farmers bale hay, plant and harvest corn, wheat, beans and help them out however I can as far as doing mechanical work for them. I also deliver each family a LARGE fruit basket at Christmas time every year. It is very hard to find a place to hunt, so I try to take very good care of the landowners. ;)