Hunting season has arrived! But I have no place to hunt...

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I would love to but yea, the non-res it way expensive! I get my tags from Wally world too! :lol: Ya'll are allowing spot-lighting?!? WOW. Mabey I need to move to Mississippi? :lol: I do have family there in lower MS.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, and we don't have tagging either ;)

The public doesn't get to do the spotlighting, the MDWF&P officers do that part. I think the highway patrol gets involved from time to time as well. It's a $5,000 fine for us mere mortals :lol:

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Oh, and we don't have tagging either ;)

The public doesn't get to do the spotlighting, the MDWF&P officers do that part. I think the highway patrol gets involved from time to time as well. It's a $5,000 fine for us mere mortals :lol:
OHHHH so they are special huh? We are given the opition to donate our deer to feed the needy. Hwy patrol also donate roadkill. If an officer gets a call about a deer being hit by a car and if it is still alive or warm when they arrive they can donate it. I am not against "fast food" ;) .

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have several hunting options. Most obvious are the public gamelands. Then my grandmother's land (which, well, she died a decade ago, but I guess it's still in her name somehow?) which my uncles and my dad all hunt. I was invited there this year for rifle. Then Jason and I have been spotting just about every night. When we see a pattern for deer, he's been going to them and asking if we can hunt on their property. For the most part, people are generous and have no problems with it. Some people are arseholes. One man actually said to him "do you see that my property is posted?" (It had two or three posted signs on the fields, so we weren't sure if they were old ones from the previous owner or what) then said "then get the eff off my property". Like, wow, dude, no need to be an ass! Most people have fields that they'd rather have deer exterminated off of, but some are "special" like the guy I just mentioned. I also have a camp that I can join in with again this year for the second week of rifle season. $10 a day to hunt with them, and they do chases and such. Not sure if I'll do it this year or not, since it's almost an hour drive away, but it is so much fun.

Around here, we don't have to worry about spotting. Just no weapons in the vehicle while spotting and no spotting after 11pm. Follow those laws and you're fine in PA.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
noobiechickenlady said:
You should have access to the national parks & public lands in your area where hunting is allowed. This is a good link to get you started.

http://www.agfc.com/hunting/Pages/HuntingWheretohunt.aspx
I've been all over this sight. I missed the application deadline for this year for the WMA's. :he

Icu- I want to farm and hunt because I am AFRIAD of the mass produced meats and produce. Yes there is alot of it, but I want to see the face of the animal that will provide food for me and my family to ensure it is natural and healthy. When I see a styrofoam package of meat all I can think is "How did this animal live/die? What was it's condition when I it died?"

As far as the "critters", I have un-baited live traps near my chicken coops as a security measure. In November, I will bait them for the purpose of trapping and dispatching whatever I catch. The furs sell, and the body will make good compost. It also brings a feeling of security that there is one less critter wandering around my coops at night. I also use traps when I have a garden and do not wish for little critters to partake of my hard earned bounty. Until I aquire my farm, this is all I have to work with. I do hunt and trap. I hunt to provide animal protiens/fats for my family and trap to ensure that any botanical food is safe. I respect your opinions and your freedom of speech. :)
Roger, understand all. Food for family. What you need is some good, South Dakota fresh beef. Not sure where you live but the next time I have a steer processed I will give you a heads up and you can get all the grass fed, locally processed beef you can haul away. My last steer was 1600# on the hoof and was on my farm from the time he was calved. He enjoyed a good, free range life and when it was his time to go, he was properly handled. I saw to that. When I got him processed I had 1162# of fine, un-poisoned beef to eat. I gave away a lot and all of the organ meats, hide and most of the bones cause I don't have a dog who would like them...my cats eat what they find on the farm.

Is there some reason you don't bait your traps? They should not be allowed to destroy your garden.I certainly agree with that!

You mention "coops" so it seems to me you have at least some decent environment to be self-sufficient.

I don't disagree with hunting nor would I criticize it. I just appreciate not HAVING to do it to live. If that changes, I'll deal with it. We have birds, deer and all manner of hunting here in SDAK. Folks come here from all over the country to hunt.

Hope you do better this season. The folks who mentioned asking a farmer are correct. If they are posted, probably better not to ask, but if not posted, often they will be more than hospitable about your using their land to hunt.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Try golf courses too....sounds silly but my husband's waterfowl company has several leases on golf courses to hunt geese as "nuisance kills".

There are lots of people that are more receptive to bow hunters as well, especially cattle farmers. Lots of people out there will let you hunt with a bow but won't let you near their farm with a gun. You could always try knocking on doors....I find that a loaf of banana bread helps sweeten the deal :lol: You could also offer your services on the farm in exchange for letting you hunt.

shadowrider

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
You can hunt in the national forests.
Not all the WMAs are permitted hunts. Some of the permitted hunts close the area to hunting by permittees only for a few days. Some WMAs are open to archery but closed to all else.
Dude recheck the book or online. There are millions of acres in Arkansas you can hunt.