Hunting with handguns...

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with it?

My husband just got me a Taurus .357 magnum for our 10th wedding anniversary, I'm not a jewelry kinda gal :p, and I am thinking I may take it deer hunting.

I have never hunted deer with a handgun before. I usually hunt with a 30.06 and am used to shooting at a distance. I know I will have a much shorter range, more like if I was bow hunting, but I just wanted to get some input from people that are more experienced with it. Any tips?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We are not allowed to hunt iwth handguns. :( handguns her eare taboo unless you have a special permit, and can only have them in your car if you are transporting to and from a shooting range. Whatever. Hubby has thought about having his handgun (when he had a handgun) in a holster while hea was out moose hunting. To shoot grouse and small critters while waiting. He had a ruger .22 stainless steel. vEry nice gun.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I do not know of anyone who hunts with a handgun. I always have wondered why not :hu

Natalie's Nesters

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have never heard of hunting with a hand gun. My husband has used it to put down a deer he shot with a rifle. Is it legal? I always hunt with my chevy, as in the suburban!;)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
There are a lot of people that do hunt with a handgun. It's not as popular as with other firearms, of course, but it is done. Usually it is done with the longer barrel lengths, for greater accuracy.

2_21_052507_MonsterPig.jpg

"An 11-year-old Alabama boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog that just may be the biggest pig ever found.

Jamison Stone's father says the hog his son killed weighed a 1,051 pounds and measured 9-feet-4 from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail. Think hams as big as car tires."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275524,00.html#ixzz1Y2VNx8MQ

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
There are a lot of people that do hunt with a handgun. It's not as popular as with other firearms, of course, but it is done. Usually it is done with the longer barrel lengths, for greater accuracy.

http://www.foxnews.com/images/286393/2_21_052507_MonsterPig.jpg

"An 11-year-old Alabama boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog that just may be the biggest pig ever found.

Jamison Stone's father says the hog his son killed weighed a 1,051 pounds and measured 9-feet-4 from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail. Think hams as big as car tires."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275524,00.html#ixzz1Y2VNx8MQ
:th :th :drool :drool :drool

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
They could make a movie about that one. Hogzilla !
Oops. I just read the linked story. Hogzilla was made about the monster sized boar that was killed in 2004 in Georgia.

Hubby was glad they finally had proof about those huge Ga hogs. He'd seen one as a kid and the family hadn't believed it till the story came out.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
THAT is insane. :ep

Don't show that to OFG or she just may have to go huntin for one of those! Good grief!

I usually hunt on our family's land so I don't even have to have a license since we live here. I haven't looked into whether or not I need a special permit....probably wouldn't matter to be honest since I'm in my backyard and the deer will most likely not leave the farm....unless it is a big 'un and then just the head will leave :D

dtinnan

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Georgia allows handgun hunting, but requires a certain muzzle velocity, which my ruger blackhawk .357 with a 6&1/2" barrel met. so i did try deer hunting with it a coupla times. no results, though

Bierwagon

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings all
this is my 1st post, but I just had to weight in on this

I've been hunting in UP State NY with a Thompson Center single shot pistol in .35 Remington for a long time

Its a blast, they are easier to carry than a rifle,leave both hands frre for stalking and with practice, just as accurate, but far more of a challenge.

They arent called wrist rifles for nothing, I've shot at least 10 deer over the last 20 years with just the T/C,
if you have the skills, tat is.

All in all, yes you certainly can be a proficient hunter with a handgun, a 357 magnum, under say 100 yards, is more than sufficient to harvest a deer with proper bullet placement and proper ammo.

So enjoy it!

Cheers! :D