Hurricane Katia

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Some folks may get more practice than they want at how to survive natural disasters. The newest storm, possibly headed the same direction as the last one...Katia, is on her way. Still a Cat 1, still in the ocean, but already being watched closely. This storm could pose a MASSIVE threat on an already flooded and reeling East coast. I know she's not here yet...and that is the point of this post. One thing that is at a premium when dealing with some of these disasters...is TIME. Is everyone on the coast prepared? Have you recovered enough from Irene to have adequate time to prepare for Katia? I hope so. It could get ugly :( ....again.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Some folks may get more practice than they want at how to survive natural disasters. The newest storm, possibly headed the same direction as the last one...Katia, is on her way. Still a Cat 1, still in the ocean, but already being watched closely. This storm could pose a MASSIVE threat on an already flooded and reeling East coast. I know she's not here yet...and that is the point of this post. One thing that is at a premium when dealing with some of these disasters...is TIME. Is everyone on the coast prepared? Have you recovered enough from Irene to have adequate time to prepare for Katia? I hope so. It could get ugly :( ....again.
Amen!

Hopefully this one will stay out to sea. :fl

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The local weather guy is guesstimating it will stay quite a way off shore & not affect us, but who knows this far out. :/

But, as WBF said, it does give a lot of people another opportunity to test out their prepping skills! ;)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If I hide my head in the sand, will it go away? We're still dealing not only w/the aftermath of Irene, but from a storm 2 weeks B4 that. Philly got about half their annual rainfall amount in 1 month!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is slightly off topic but we had Irene (I) and now we have Katia (K). What happened to the J storm? Did I miss it? Or is there a Javier lurking in the Caribbean somewhere?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah "Jose" deflated. HOPEFULLY Katia will as well or at least go somewhere else, and fade out quickly. Scary to think another could hit the same area right behind Irene, it does happen though :hide I'm concerned about it and I don't even live in an area it could hit!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
yeah we had Hurricanes Erin and Opal in '95. Erin was 8/3 and Opal was 10/3. It was actually not too bad as far as wind because Erin had already torn down weakened branches, loose wires, etc LOL . Opal was a big rain event though... wow it came closer to flooding here than I have ever seen. There are some awesome photos from the beach too, from that time (awesome in the sense of how powerful and damaging these storms can be).
We have about a 10yr cycle as a rule... erin and Opal in '95, petty storms until Ivan the Terrible in '04. We did get Dennis and bits of Katrina and Rita in '05. So hopefully we have a few more years :D . TS Lee has been a nice, windy, rainy cool day for us, though folks to the west got dumped on with the rain.

ETA - as soon as I posted this I got an emergency email alert (at work) ...nice

THE NATL WEATHER SVC IN MOBILE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR.
NORTHWESTERN ESCAMBIA COUNTY IN NW FL.
SOUTHWESTERN ESCAMBIA COUNTY IN SO. CNTL AL.
CNTL BALDWIN COUNTY IN SW AL.

* UNTIL 515 PM CDT

* AT 412 PM CDT.NATL WEATHER SVC DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 8 MILES EAST OF
ROBERTSDALE.OR 9 MILES NE OF SUMMERDALE.MOVING NO. AT
25 MPH.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
AL said:
... TS Lee has been a nice, windy, rainy cool day for us, though folks to the west got dumped on with the rain...
Yep, as of about 3pm today, my son's weather station (he's currently in south MS) has recorded 17+ inches since the rains started, and it's still raining. They've had numerous tornado warnings, but thankfully no damage. He's has some pork steaks on the grill, under his carport.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Katia looks as if she will get caught in the front that will be moving off the east coast and bang a hard right out to sea. I hope anyway. :fl