Hurricane season is here

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, weeks-definitely not hours! And even when the stores get power back on, it is days before they can open back up. ALL the frozen and cold foods must be thrown out. Shelves are BARE from the frenzy of buying before the storm. There is no meat, no ice cream, no cold foods, no bread, maybe a few canned goods. It is a weird, but grateful feeling to walk into a empty grocery store after it opens back up.

In the meantime, YOUR freezer is empty too. As it melts, you cook for the neighborhood, friends, family and evacuees that have fled the storm and taken shelter in the churches and schools. It helps to have a bar-b-cue pit!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought I'd chit chat on here, rather than start a new thread.
Well, Karen knocking at my door, in case ya'll aren't watching the news. Expected to be near land by 7am, from what I've been told, then make a move eastward. I am about to get in uniform and go in to work, so about the time I finish up my work, I might not be able to come home, but its not expected to be too terribly bad.
Today I tried to keep the kids busy, with picking things up. I had a truckload of limestone delevered, because its been a few years since my driveway was tended to properly and there are 2 puddles that are especially loved by the geese and ducks. Ducks....no problem, but the neighbors don't care for it when the geese ventures out in their yard and ends up in their driveway and poop everywhere. Besides they are afraid of my geese.
So I'm not worried about my waterfowl at all, of course. I will be getting the wet side of the storm. I am a bit concerned about my does, but the barn is dry for the time being. I dug 2 labrador size grave/holes in 2 of my stalls and filled them with our clear wine bottles and capped them off with a wheelbarrow of limestone to have a little drainage for the chickens and in the barn in general. I managed to clear some shelf space in my girls room as a result. Those bottles were taking up room. I am only going to save the tinted bottles for wine and herbology.
I so hope the roads are not closed when my shift ends. I don't mind staying, in one way, but prefer to be with my family, unless they offer me a little something extra....which is very likely to happen.....I've made a little hurricane money in my lifetime. DS went to the store to buy cold cuts, bread, milk and such, so I don't have to worry about the family cooking. Daddy is fine and his generator will turn on as soon as the power misses, if it comes to that. He has lots of food.
I'm hoping I don't have to take an alternate route home, but the route I normally take is nothing but trees, so I might get there like that, but might have to come home another way. I dislike change.
Well, time to get white. Might as well bring a hair brush, tooth brush and at least a partial change of clothes, just in case. Take care all and to our Gulf Coast friends....stay safe.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I know my hubby got stuck when Hurricane Gloria came thru in "85. He was working on building a nuclear station, and they wouldn't let anyone in or out. And, I was 7 months pregnant at the time! I didn't really like being home alone then.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got this off weather.gov and it sounds like Karen is not going to be too bad. Still, lots of rain can cause problems and falling trees can make you take the long way home. You sound like you have everything ready and prepared in case it does turn out bad for you.

519 AM EDT SAT OCT 5 2013

TROPICAL STORM WARNING

TODAY
TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED. E TO SE WINDS 30 TO
35 KT...SHIFTING TO S TO SW LATE. SEAS 12 TO 15 FT. NUMEROUS
SQUALLS. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND TSTMS. VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.

TONIGHT
TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED. SW WINDS 30 TO
35 KT. SEAS 7 TO 10 FT. NUMEROUS SQUALLS. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND
TSTMS. VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.

SUN
TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. W WINDS 30 TO 35 KT.
SEAS 6 TO 8 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED TSTMS.

SUN NIGHT
TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. E OF 90W...W
TO NW WINDS 30 TO 35 KT...BECOMING 20 TO 25 KT LATE. W OF 90W...
NW TO N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 5 TO 7 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Didn't hear a thing last night at work, but it is a strong building, but apparently it must have rained through the night. Was told something about a mandatory evacuation, below a certain area of Terrebonne Parish. By the time I was coming home, I heard a little news on the radio about Karen being on life support and slowly dying. Well, we missed it......Good. Wasn't likely to be too bad at this time of the year anyway. I don't remember Gloria, exactly.
I have one more shift of work to do.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I only remember Gloria because of hubby not being able to come home. :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rhoda, you got lucky this time. I saw on the news how Karen just squatted in one place and I wondered if you were getting hammered with rain. Even a tropical storm, if it stalls and doesn't move on, can bring devastating floods. Glad you got home and weren't flooded. :)