hurt monday then wrecked motorcycle saturday

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Well I think I am just jinxed :barnie
(Monday) I fell while working with chicks and did soft tissue damage and sprained L ankle pretty bad and sprained my L wrist went to ER got xrays and not broken clap

Well Saturday I was on a motorcycle trip to AK and wrecked my motorcycle. I was going around a curve and gravel had washed up on the road and off I went... went through the grass and thought ok not so bad then hit a huge ditch and (my friends behind me) said I left the ground by about 3 feet both tires, came down hard and up over the handle bars I went skidded across the gravel and grass.
That being said i am obviously ok I am here lol bow . But I had to be taken to ER by ambulance and have my wounds debreeded *SP basically scrubbed. OUCH is the least I can say. It hurt worse than child birth with no meds. I have "road rash" from my shoulder to my wrist. Basically raw meat but the shoulder got the worst of it.
Gave me Demerol shot and tetanus shot and antibiotic shot. Gave me script for pain med and strong antibiotic. No xrays or anything.
I did hit my head and have a small bump and scrap on my face. All in all I was VERY lucky. :thumbsup

Went to my dr today and he thinks I may have broken my collar bone by my shoulder ep but is going to wait to see how it feels nxt Monday and if still soar and swollen he is sending me for xray hu . (no wonder it hurts so dang bad.) Probably tore part of my rotator cup too he said.
My arm and hand is puffy and swollen but not too terribly bad.

I have bruises on my knees and across my chest.

I had my FIL taking care of my chickens so they were ok. D
had to go tend to them today and if it weren't for my DD11 I would not have been able to do it. She is being a huge help. :weee

:th DH had to give me baths and wash my hair and help me dress and everything while we were still on vacation because we didn't come home till Monday. But today he had to go to work and I stayed in bed and rested most of the day.

My DD 17 washed my hair for me today so I could go to the Dr.

I hate being laid up. There is sooo much to do with the chickens ducks and garden ect.... :somad :rant

But at least I am here to worry about it.

anyway that is why I haven't been around here for a while.......

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Ouch. All I can say at this point is - Do not say it can't get any worse.

Motorcycle wrecks hurt. And yes you were very lucky.

Lay around - and try to enjoy the extra attention. (Wouldn't it be nice if we could get all that extra without the hurt?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Road rash is like a burn...it really hurts badly. I am soo sorry! Sprains can hurt worse than breaks too...

Are you going to keep riding motorcycles?

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Road rash is like a burn...it really hurts badly. I am soo sorry! Sprains can hurt worse than breaks too...

Are you going to keep riding motorcycles?
Thank you!
Yes. As a mater of fact when I left the hospital I had to get on with my DH on his motorcycle and ride about 1 1/2 hr to the house we rented. SO I was literal back on the "horse" or hog should I say within hours of the wreck. I am REALLY freaked out in or near gravel now but I am dealing with it. (I didn't have much choice) it was the only transportation we had we were in AK and live in IL about 400 mi away.
And we were there until Monday and took a few more rides (the whole purpose of our trip lol)

We are going back this weekend to pick up my bike to bring it home to try to fix it as it was not rideable after the wreck.

We were planning to get me a Harley (have a honda v30 magna) if we get a decent chunk of income tax back next year. DH has had a Harley for a few years. And I have had my bike for a couple years now. ( not sure if DH still plans on it or waiting now that I wrecked)

But Planning on riding as so as I can. We will see how it goes when the time comes though.

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
2dream said:
Ouch. All I can say at this point is - Do not say it can't get any worse.

Motorcycle wrecks hurt. And yes you were very lucky.

Lay around - and try to enjoy the extra attention. (Wouldn't it be nice if we could get all that extra without the hurt?
Trust me I have no intetion of saying that because it always can.....

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Get yourself a Low Rider (don't bother with the Sportster, trust me). I put shorty shocks on mine and lowered it on the forks by an inch or so, I could knee it off the stand - the center of gravity is much lower than a Sportster, even though they're big bikes, they are much easier to ride. Saw your post over on TEG, same sentiments here - heal well!

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
isn't the low rider a larger bike than a sportster? I know I don't want anything very big. I have a honda v30 magna and its a 500 and I can't pick it up so god forbid I get something even bigger LOL

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
dipence71 said:
isn't the low rider a larger bike than a sportster? I know I don't want anything very big. I have a honda v30 magna and its a 500 and I can't pick it up so god forbid I get something even bigger LOL
Yes, it's larger, but much easier to ride. Trust me, I'm 5'7" and weigh 130 lbs. It's not the weight, it's the center of gravity and balance you need to worry about. Of course you can't pick up your bike - do you think one guy can pick up a dresser that goes over? Trick is, don't let it go over ;) I know, I know, easier said than done, and you've had a wreck, but trust me, if a big guy had the same wreck he wouldn't be picking anything up either.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh, I wiped out pretty good once, and soon after retired my motorcycle hobby. Like you, I walked away from it (sore and scraped up) and was afraid to ride again...everyone convinced me to get back on the horse so to speak, and I did, for a couple of months...but after seeing how fast and crazy bikes could go out of control I really didn't enjoy it much anymore. Haven't ridden for 15 years and honestly don't miss it.
DH wants to get back into it, we were always into the crotch rockets...I kkep convincing him that we have enough toys to put gas in already with the boats and snowmobiles...
Hopefully you heal quickly and can get back to day to day activities ASAP:>)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hope you feel better soon! Ouch I am sure!!!

I hate motorcycles...such an easy and fast way to die. Not into it.

I had a dirt bike when younger and wiped out. I realized real fast it wasn't for me. No desire to risk it at all.

Yet, when I jumped horses, I fell off jumping a 6 ft. high, 6 ft wide oxer.....and never jumped again. BUT--yes I got back on the horse, literally, and only trail ride for fun now..LOL