Husband lost his job. UPDATE hubby started new job today!!!!

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Well I am currantly in a senerio I never dreamed of. Thank God for the "prepared" stuff I do have. He lost his job a week ago yesterday and things are starting to pile up. The one thing we werent even close to prepared for is hitting the worst MONEY. The bills are piling up and I am stressing big time. I have a 14DD at home and 20DD in college who still lives at home. I work for min wage so at least we have that, although with my fibromyalsia and shingles I have had 2x in 6 mo, I do miss allot of work. I need to check into my company and there benifit program for insurance.

He has an interview today and some other things that may turn into interviews, BUT we have no health insurance or life insuranse now that he has no job due to the fact they were through work.

He would have been there 15 yrs next month and would have gotten more $, bonus, more vacation days and such.
I think the new theem is out with the old expensive employees and hire newbies for cheap.

All I can say is THANK GOD for my self preparedness, couponing and small stockpile that I do have. My DH is totally seeing it in a different light now. Bet he gets on board pretty quick.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs

We went through the same thing in 2010, hubs was out of work for most of the year. I took on an additional minimum-wage job at the time as did he just to get us through the job search, and we had lots of savings, but it was tough--really tough. Totally feel for you, and if you ever need to vent or express your concerns, we're here for you.

:hugs

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am sorry you are going through this :hugs I will keep your family in my prayers. Hang in there :hugs:hugs:hugs

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
:hugs Been there done that 2+ years ago, and we weren't prepared either. I suppose we should have been, but we weren't. It was stressful, but as with all things, it will change in due time.
Best of luck for quick change for you!!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First off, :hugs

Take a deep breath. If you are like me, a lay off feels like the end of the world. I go around like chicken little "What are we going to do?" "How are we going to make it?" :p Thankfully, DH keeps the level head, for both of us!

Does he qualify for unemployment? Sign up immediately. How about cobra insurance? It is extremely expensive, but check on it anyways, just in case. Great that he jumped right back out there and started applying/interviewing! Maybe he has some connections to help him track down a job?

When DH gives the lay-off word, ALL spending stops. We don't even buy groceries! I keep powdered milk just for this reason. We evaluate EVERY expense we have. Got the upper tier of cable/satellite, internet? They go until things get better. Even phone's are on the chopping block if need be. Then we look at the big stuff: cars, house, etc. Last lay-off, which lasted 5 1/2 months, we went down and talked to the bank that we had our biggest loan with (local bank/local loan - best thing you can have when things like this happen). Giving them a heads up was very helpful, for us. They offered to move two payments to the back of the loan (we refused at the time, saying we might accept if things got bad). Now that things are 'back to normal', they seem extra willing to work with us no matter what it is- changing around accounts, etc. Credit cards. If they have a balance, pay the minimum. If that gets to be too much, they are the first thing I let slide. I was amazed at how many people keep paying their credit cards, but QUIT paying their house payment! A credit card is UNsecured debt. They will hound you unmercifully for the money, but they can't take your house, car, etc. that you need.

The best advice I can think to give you right now, is to read through Wannabefree's posts! She come's up with clever ways to make the mortgage payment and bills, plus put food on the table!

Try not to stress out (I know, easy for me to say! :p ) as it will definitely aggravate your conditions!

:hugs Maybe he'll nail today's interview, and all this will be a non-issue ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dipence71 said:
He would have been there 15 yrs next month and would have gotten more $, bonus, more vacation days and such.
I think the new theem is out with the old expensive employees and hire newbies for cheap.

All I can say is THANK GOD for my self preparedness, couponing and small stockpile that I do have. My DH is totally seeing it in a different light now. Bet he gets on board pretty quick.
WoW I am so sorry. It is a situation you think will not happen and boom.

My hubby has been at this company for 18 years. very top pay, tons of vacation time, and seniority. I KNOW they would love to get rid of all the top pay and top vacation people. ANY company can see the reason to do it financially, but geez the impact on the working force is horrible.

I am so glad you have a stockpile. I do too :) :) BUT I am fortunate I do have the good sized emergency money I don't touch. Money was always something I truly put aside. I am a saver. I know if it hits the fan for us we would be ok for a bit. It is specifically for this type of job situation. It scares me also!!!

hang in there!! fingers crossed a job comes his way fast!! wishing you tons of good opportunities!!! good words and support LOL

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Happened to us in 09, and has been a roller coaster ride ever since then. It is especially crappy when the unemployment stops. The only income we have right now is hauling steel to the recycler, and selling chicks, and I'm attempting to sell produce and eggs, but that's not looking too hot :hu I'm there with ya, and I distinctly remember the "oh crap" initial reaction. It sucks. Hate it for ya :hugs

On the bright side, it does get easier. It's never particularly easy not having a steady sizeable income, but it starts to not bother you so much after a while.

On a religious note, dunno if you're Christian or not, but if you are, you'll understand what I mean by, God has always provided, as He promised. We have not missed a bill payment thus far. We have done a bit of everything to stay on that level, but opportunities are there. We sold acorns one winter, and that STILL makes me laugh out loud at how ridiculous it sounds :lol: It worked though :D

The whole point is, don't get stuck in the mindset that "a job" in conventional wisdom, is the key to maintaining a home and personal finances. It's not anywhere even close. I hope your DH gets another job soon, but if he doesn't, keep your head up! If your head is hanging down, you might miss seeing some interesting opportunities! We have had more fun as a family since the bottom fell out than we ever did when DH was working full time. And honestly it DOES still get to me at times, but then I get over it ;)

Hugs and prayers hun :hugs :fl