HWC's 30 Day Challenge

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm going to start my 30 day challenge. I will give up caffeine--I drink sodas with caffeine but I would like to give it up for this challenge. I will be *trying* to walk 10,000 steps a day and I will read Twilight--the first book--in 30 days. I tried to read it on e and hated it, so I'm going to force myself. Any other book would be too easy to be a "challenge".

I'll update daily or as close to daily as possible. Wish me luck!

HWC

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Good luck. I'm sure you can do it if you really put your mind to it. And, if it makes you feel any better, I had to give up caffeine cold turkey several years ago. I have an inner ear disorder, and I cannot handle most forms of caffeine.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Why force yourself to read a book you don't like? Why not, instead, read 2 (or 3 , or 4) books you DO like?

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the support!

I am reading Twilight to stretch myself. I read constantly books that I like from horror to "For Dummies" etc etc. I want to make my challenge an actual challenge. I could decide to read the new-ish Stephen King book but I'd be done in three days and wouldn't feel challenged. I think Twilight will be a struggle, and up to now when a book bores me I have abandoned it. As a woman with an English degree I think I need a bit more literary discipline. It's like if I gave up caffeine and already never drank it, just pointless as a challenge goes.

HWC

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: yea, I agree on books. A good one I would read in 2-3-4 days. A bad one, when I hit that 'one paragraph' and I would just lose total interest, put it down and end up donating to the library or goodwill or sending it on to a friend.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
HandledWithCare said:
Thanks for the support!

I am reading Twilight to stretch myself. I read constantly books that I like from horror to "For Dummies" etc etc. I want to make my challenge an actual challenge. I could decide to read the new-ish Stephen King book but I'd be done in three days and wouldn't feel challenged. I think Twilight will be a struggle, and up to now when a book bores me I have abandoned it. As a woman with an English degree I think I need a bit more literary discipline. It's like if I gave up caffeine and already never drank it, just pointless as a challenge goes.

HWC
You have a "English degree" and you consider Twilight to be a challenge? Huum I am fairly sure that it is in the young adult section of our library......

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd said:
HandledWithCare said:
Thanks for the support!

HWC
You have a "English degree" and you consider Twilight to be a challenge? Huum I am fairly sure that it is in the young adult section of our library......
It is a challenge because of--in my opinion--slow story development, poor wordcrafting and EXTREMELY juvenile style, like a five-year-old wrote it. Also, thank you for putting my degree in quotations as if I made it up. I usually just get dirty looks for having one in my family. This was new and fun.

HWC

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
:yuckyuck I agree! Attempting to read one chapter of the Twilight trilogy would be a challenge for anyone accustomed to reading "real" literature.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think if I felt a need for a challenge in reading I might finally read one of the Russian novels, or "Ulysses" by James Joyce - which my English teacher brother has recommended several times (and I have always found something else to read or do when he does ;)) I like, and still read, a number of books meant for juveniles; nothing wrong with them. But reading a book I cannot like, don't like the writing style, don't think is well written ... IMO that is just a waste of time.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I read a bunch of books for kids, too. But there are some that I just can't stand. Quite truthfully, I cannot imagine reading the Twilight books. Nothing about them or the movies ever appealed to me. I like a lot of historical fiction.