Hydrofracturing

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had their well hydrofractured? How did it work out for you?

We're trying to decide on that or a new well :(

Inchworm

ChickenToes

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I could ask my husband about it when he gets home from work, he works at a well drilling and septic company. He just explained hydrofracturing to me the other day, and now I've completely forgotten what it is.

What exactly is the problem with your well?

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our well is about 25 years old. When is was drilled, it was 298 feet deep with a yield of 3 GPM. It has slowly declined so I no longer do laundry at home. We installed a storage tank to help spread the damand on the water through out the day, but the well still periodically runs out and the pump shuts off. It has just slowly been getting worse over the last 5 years or so. We figure we need to deal with it now by either hydrofracturing or drilling a new well -- before we lose water altogether. Obviously, with the expense, we need to make the best decision we can.

Any advice would be helpful!

Inchworm

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Where in the country are you located inchworm??
300 ft is a mighty deep well!
Mine is only 90 ft deep here in North Central Ohio.....

ChickenToes

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
SKR8PN - where I'm located, there are wells drilled anywhere from 60 to 300 feet. The bedrock up here is at varying depths.

Anyhoo, I talked to my husband and he said the best thing to do is to talk to a good well driller and see what they think. He doesn't want to give you bad advice over the internet.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We're in the Allegheny Mountains of MD. The first driller we talked to recommended hydrofracturing first. He says if it doesn't work, he'll discount the cost of drilling a new well. Rumor has it, that the new house across the street went 700' deep :(

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
inchworm said:
We're in the Allegheny Mountains of MD. The first driller we talked to recommended hydrofracturing first. He says if it doesn't work, he'll discount the cost of drilling a new well. Rumor has it, that the new house across the street went 700' deep :(
:ep

That's crazy deep! BTW, if you dig a new well, a 300 foot well is deep enough to install a vertical bore geothermal system. If your load is not too high, it might be enough to both heat and cool your house year-round. They work in freezing climates. You would need a heat pump that does run off a small amount of electricity. I wonder if solar would cover it.

Add up your heating/cooling bills and get quotes on a new well plus inserting geothermal into an existing well. If your heating/cooling bills are high, you might get a good paypack period? Anything less than 7 years would be good if you plan to stay in your house that long.

I used to work at an engineering company that specialized in vertical bore geothermal systems. You've heard of the HUGE geothermal system being installed at Ball State University? Yup - the company that designed it is where I used to work. :D

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the tip!

Inchy

Latest posts