Hydroponics 101

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have a pond and use plants to keep the water clear. I guess it is a modified hydroponics system of sorts.

1004160w.jpg

1004174a.jpg

1003428b.jpg

The plants in the trays go nuts and produce so well. Plus I don't have to worry about watering them :D I usually don't let the ducks play in that pond (they have their own stock tank) but we do occasionally have escapees. I stock the pond with rosy minnows that live on mosquito larvae. I also intentionally grow duckweed which I feed to the ducks.

The pond water goes in to a bio filter and then goes through trays with a little gravel in it. Those trays are actually water heater trays. It works great.

I just added a second tank to the system and will be using floating baskets.
mediacardblackberrypictc.jpg

It looks pretty barren right now but we are still getting freezing temps at night.

brandylorton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have grown up few tomatoes with the help of the hydroponics techniques. I can not say that i have got 100% success but yes i have used the hydroponic technique and they are really tasty too. So giving me the results too.

David Harritz

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hydroponic is a way which is become very much useful for the good growth of the plant. The light should be requited so that the it will grow nicely. If you are planning to grow then you have to provide it in good way because the hydroponic light should be in limited way.

sbrook_325

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
]Hello
I am new here, recommended by a friend. This is my second year of growing with hydroponics and soil, and i have had very good luck so far. It is recommended you change out the water for the hydro system every 7 to 10 days, and I use this waste water, which is very rich in nutrients, to water my soil crops. I am new to gardening, so I don't really know what " normal" plants or growth is supposed to look like. I have been experimenting with several hydroponic techniques, to see which ones do the best. Bato buckets are very good. Flood and drain is good, especially with rockwool grow blocks. Flood and drain with gravel, perlite, and vermiculite is fair. NFT system is the bomb for herbs and lettuce, and smaller plants. Aeroponics grows very fast, but no room for error....at all. Power failure of an hour or two, and your crop is toast. I work a crazy 12 hours shift, so I am not able to tend my systems as carefully as if I were home all the time. Construction of the systems are very easy, simple plumbing. I order my nutrients from ebay, and use general hydroponics brand. I am going to try some of their dry concentrate nutrients, and see how they do. There are better nutrients on the market, but are more expensive and I am not familiar with them. Keeping your PH level in the ballpark of 5.5 to 6.5 makes a big difference. I am a newbie, but would try to answer any questions any one has about this fun little hobby.....

I have added some pics with a timeline for growth to my uploads, I don't know how to add any of them here, just go to my profile and check them out

Thanks

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sbrook_325 said:
]Hello
I am new here, recommended by a friend. This is my second year of growing with hydroponics and soil, and i have had very good luck so far. It is recommended you change out the water for the hydro system every 7 to 10 days, and I use this waste water, which is very rich in nutrients, to water my soil crops. I am new to gardening, so I don't really know what " normal" plants or growth is supposed to look like. I have been experimenting with several hydroponic techniques, to see which ones do the best. Bato buckets are very good. Flood and drain is good, especially with rockwool grow blocks. Flood and drain with gravel, perlite, and vermiculite is fair. NFT system is the bomb for herbs and lettuce, and smaller plants. Aeroponics grows very fast, but no room for error....at all. Power failure of an hour or two, and your crop is toast. I work a crazy 12 hours shift, so I am not able to tend my systems as carefully as if I were home all the time. Construction of the systems are very easy, simple plumbing. I order my nutrients from ebay, and use general hydroponics brand. I am going to try some of their dry concentrate nutrients, and see how they do. There are better nutrients on the market, but are more expensive and I am not familiar with them. Keeping your PH level in the ballpark of 5.5 to 6.5 makes a big difference. I am a newbie, but would try to answer any questions any one has about this fun little hobby.....

I have added some pics with a timeline for growth to my uploads, I don't know how to add any of them here, just go to my profile and check them out

Thanks
First, :welcome

Hope you stick around! I really want to try out hydroponics, but it has gotten bumped down the list of 'wanna do's' lately :/ Would like to pick your brain, once I got time/$$ to get things set up ;)

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yay! You made it! :celebrate

Doc and I would immediately think of you anytime some one has a hydropnics question! :D

Doc and I were fortunate enough to sample some of sbrooks' hydroponically grown veggies last year and they were delicious! Flavor-wise, I couldn't taste a difference between his hp grown and our soil grown veggies. It was cool to finally have a chance to do a taste test. :cool:

Make yourself at home here and enjoy! :D