Hypochondriacs?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not only that, but those additives and preservatives apparently have a taste... and it isn't a good one. That's why our homemade foods taste so much better even when we use the same ingredients (the real food ones, that is)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Could it be because we are so far removed from natural foods and the lifestyle?
Could be. A lot of folks with those sensitivities and allergies seem to find improvement when they remove the hazards from their life.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when I was a small child, maybe 3, I was allergic to strawberries. My family loved them. One day dad brought home a whole flat from the farmers stand on the side of the road. I ate half of it!
I broke out in hives but I've never had a reaction since and I eat them regularly.

We played in the woods on a daily basis. It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I realized I have never had poison ivy so I must not be allergic. Now I rip it out when I see it growing at friends houses.

Guess I always been like that. Just push threw it and go on.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Often exposing yourself to "bad" things can turn out to be a good thing. I remember a lady I knew years ago telling me about someone she knew who pampered her kids something awful. They never got dirty, etc, they were not exposed to germs, didn't get to build up their immune systems, therefor they got sick easily. One day someone told her to let the kids hang out with their dogs, steal food from the dogs' bowls etc. Mom about had a fit, but you know what? Those kids grew stronger and healthier for it. They went and ate from the dogs' bowls and it was good for them! Gross, yes, but it was good. My DS, I can't tell you how many times I had to go pull him out of our dog's kennel when he was a baby, just crawling and then walking. I can tell you though that I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times that child got sick and he's 11 now.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have issues with onions especially raw ones. It's hereditary. Grandma had issues. Mom and half her siblings have same issue. Can't digest them and it makes me painfully sick. The solution was to work up a tolerance and keep it up. I just have to be careful to not overdo it. This is my only food problem now. Mom says I had a milk allergy as a baby but outgrew it by 8 months. No milk issues now at all.

I get sick eating commercial bread. I have no issues with homemade stuff. It's one of the chemicals I react to.

I can't use deoderants or antiperspirants. Nasty rash and hives. So salt crystal for me.

I can eat baking soda, but if I get it on my chest or any of the thinner skin spots it literally burns me. All the swelling, redness, and later peeling. Other chemicals also burn me.

Theme there for me on chemical sensitivity.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Freaking scents. I can't wear most perfume as it makes me sick. I guess a lot of people are like that because base has a no scents rules in their clinic. You come in wearing a ton of stuff they make you leave and miss your appointment.

Wouldn't be so bad but people bathe in the stuff nowadays when they wear it. What happened to not being able to smell any perfume past three feet? Then in the guy you're wearing it for wanted a better smell he had to get much closer.

They also don't seem to realize that only certain scents work for certain people's body chemistry.

Axe doesn't work for anyone. Took my brother a decade to realise that

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're still cleaning yourself. That makes a world of difference. Soap isn't necessarily needed for that.

I've known a couple people who didn't clean themselves at all. I'm sorry but I will be blunt if needed. One was bragging one day that he only showered once every other week and didn't smell. I told him "Yes you do. Everyone else is too polite to say anything." He started showering a few times a week after that.

Scary thing is he married a girl worse than him. She thought that putting bath oil in the tub and soaking in it once a week was good. Mind you no scrubbing. She came out still smelling horrid with a sickly sweet over scent. She was still in the Navy and assigned to a ship. It was so bad her Chief ordered her to bathe everyday with soap and assigned another woman to follow and make sure she did.

I've had other friends who don't use soaps but keep themselves clean. No bad smells. If it what they are doing works, good for them.

I have to wash my hair everyday. I tried to go with just water wash or with vinegar rinse for two months last year when hubby was gone. My hair would have been less greasy rubbing shortning in it. I have very fine hair as well so any oil shows up. It also smelled.

I like dilute castile soap and an apple cider vinegar rinse. I seem to get less oil that way.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a few chunks of Himalayan salt formed into bars for use on the skin in the shower. I use them on my feet. Inclusions in the salt make it a bit too rough for tender skin. Rubbing it on my wet hands after shower, I can rub salt on my armpits. Kills bacteria so I don't stink if I'm sweating.