hypothyroid?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
i very likely have hyperthyroid.

my dietary changes have slowed it so i'm not losing weight on three thousand calories any more. i'm more affordable to feed. :gig

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most cases of hypothyroid is caused by iodine deficiency.

Go to www.healthsalon.org and do a blog search on Iodine and read read read. Most of all of this can be corrected by supplementing with Lugol's iodine or Nascent iodine.

I know people who have gotten off their synthyroid and armour using iodine. You have to check your thyroid hormone levels as you go because you will be needing your medication reduced

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I take iodine, but it doesn't help. I may have something else going on, which I hope to have confirmed. We'll see.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, so I'm not completely crazy! My regular doc wants me to go to a GI doc because he thinks it's related to reflux. I KNOW it has nothing to do with that. I finally found a holistic MD and made an appointment, and just talking to the receptionist, I feel like he's someone who will actually LISTEN and try to put the pieces together! And the BEST news is that he accepts my insurance, so at least the doc visit will be covered. Yay!!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your regular doc thinks your hypothyroid condition may be related to reflux?

Thats very interesting...

I certainly can't say what all his thinking is but this I can say...

Reflux is most often caused by insuffient digestive enzymes and hydrochloric acid, although there may be other structural causes like hernia.

If you do not have enough of the right digestive acids you will not be digesting iodine correctly and your body will not have enough of the right materials to form T3.

This is how it goes.....stomach acid stimlates the release of pepsin fromthe parietal cells in the lining of the stomach. Pepsin breaks down protien to simple amino acids for absorption. Amino acids are used for structural repair and construction of many things. Protiens are split into tyrosine and phenylalanine. Tyrosine is a core building block to form T3 hormone.

If stomach acid is too low indigestion, bleching, reflux, esophageal burning etc occur. A key indicator that you are not digesting your protiens correctly which may lead to thyroid hormone issues. A good clinical nutritionist always starts with correcting digestive issues first.

If one is supplementing iodine and their thyroid hormone is still low you might want to make sure you are taking a good source of iodine and at about 50 mg per day, and of course work to correct digestive issues.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Current doc doesn't think there's anything wrong with my thyroid. He thinks that the lump in my throat has something to do with the heartburn. I just think he's not sure what's going on & is grasping at straws. :/

willamtarker

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the body has enough thyroid hormone. People of any age can get hypothyroidism, but older adults are more likely to succeed. women age 60 years risk.The good news is that accurate thyroid function tests for the diagnosis and treatment of hypothyroidism hypothyroidism, synthetic thyroid hormone is usually simple, safe and effective when the correct dose is established.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Current doc doesn't think there's anything wrong with my thyroid. He thinks that the lump in my throat has something to do with the heartburn. I just think he's not sure what's going on & is grasping at straws. :/
If there is lump a simple sonogram will show you what it is. But there can be esophegeal issues too. I would want to know and if its a lump you can feel all the time get a sonogram.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
willamtarker said:
Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the body has enough thyroid hormone. People of any age can get hypothyroidism, but older adults are more likely to succeed. women age 60 years risk.The good news is that accurate thyroid function tests for the diagnosis and treatment of hypothyroidism hypothyroidism, synthetic thyroid hormone is usually simple, safe and effective when the correct dose is established.
Ya, synthetic hormone is good enough for some people. But other people want to corret the problem and taking a hormone does not correct it.

Iodine deficiency is the main cause, as well as the build up of bromide and fluoride in the thyroid gland. sufficient iodine will chelate those out.

Iodine deficiency is caused by low concentrations of iodine in the food we eat and this issue can be compounded by digestive problems. We have enough iodine in our diet to prevent goiter for most people, but not enough to prevent hypothyrodism, which is epidemic in our nation.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting. Now that I'm not eating gluten, I'm having much fewer troubles with indigestion. So where would I find an iodine supplement?