I’m a newby from Texas

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My other issue with deer is they carry diseases that can spread to my goats. Not sure that's an issue with cattle but I really don't know. We are fortunate to have plenty of deer but they've never bothered my garden. I imagine a fence would be a good plan, we just haven't done that here.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is it a myth that if you surround your garden area with ... um... urine that it'll keep the deer away? I'm not so sure I'd want to surround my garden with urine though. Might be better to share with the deer, lol!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is it a myth that if you surround your garden area with ... um... urine that it'll keep the deer away? I'm not so sure I'd want to surround my garden with urine though. Might be better to share with the deer, lol!

Didnt work for us. I had hubby watering my cherry trees every night for a couple weeks. The deer still ate them to death. The deer repellent spray didnt work either

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It would take a high wire fence to keep the deer out. Or you can get a big barky dog. We fenced our 8 acres with the 2"x4" non climb horse wire. Not even the chickens can get through it. Our dogs stay IN and everybody else's stay OUT. Coyotes stay out too. We have two Great Pyrenees to keep the varmits away. They keep the deer away too, although a couple of does figured out that the horse pasture was safe and they stashed their fawns in it. They walked mere feet away from the back yard fence, unafraid of the big white dog barking a frothing frenzy on the other side of the fence.

You do have a lot of work ahead of you. Is there any kind of fence at all? What kind of fence will you put up? Can I recommend fencing the outer parameter in sheep and goat fence, getting some goats to underbrush it and a LGD to keep them safe? You have a lot of FREE feed on your 20 acres. Get meat goats, sell the young ones for meat. They will also eat the trees that you cut in clearing for buildings. Why let it go to waste? As you transition to pasture for your cows, you can sell out the goats.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new here and new to the self sufficient lifestyle. I just purchased 20 acres to start on and want to learn as much as a can about everything that I can. I am going to start with animals and a garden first.

Welcome :) I can teach you what NOT to do.

Scott Henry

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It would take a high wire fence to keep the deer out. Or you can get a big barky dog. We fenced our 8 acres with the 2"x4" non climb horse wire. Not even the chickens can get through it. Our dogs stay IN and everybody else's stay OUT. Coyotes stay out too. We have two Great Pyrenees to keep the varmits away. They keep the deer away too, although a couple of does figured out that the horse pasture was safe and they stashed their fawns in it. They walked mere feet away from the back yard fence, unafraid of the big white dog barking a frothing frenzy on the other side of the fence.

You do have a lot of work ahead of you. Is there any kind of fence at all? What kind of fence will you put up? Can I recommend fencing the outer parameter in sheep and goat fence, getting some goats to underbrush it and a LGD to keep them safe? You have a lot of FREE feed on your 20 acres. Get meat goats, sell the young ones for meat. They will also eat the trees that you cut in clearing for buildings. Why let it go to waste? As you transition to pasture for your cows, you can sell out the goats.
I do know that goats are on the agenda. I have a 9 year old daughter that is saying that she wants goats. There is no fence at all. The land is surrounded by hundred of acres of wooded untouched land (that I can hopefully purchase In the future) I for sure want to get info on goats from you. I have never had a goat before so it will take a lot of learning on my part. How high did you make the fence that you surrounded your 8 acres with?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goats, we can help with! Lots of goat people here. Do you want them for meat, dairy or a little of both?