I am back- opened up a farm stand and I need help

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Things have been crazy here on the farm. THis spring my husband was laid-off. We decided to open up a farm stand. We have been planting like crazy. I can't wait until all the plants start producing. I have never sold produce before besides sweet corn and tomatoes. I need to learn how to package it all for the stand. We do have coolers and have AC in our building. I didn't know where the best place to get all the information I need. I also wanted to see if anyone would share what sales best for them.

Thank you!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Are you planning on manning it, or having an honesty stand? Around here, most people have the honesty stands. They'll put the produce out in various bins or boxes, an enclosed box for the money, and old bags for you to put it in.

Eggs, I've seen in just a cooler.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are doing both. I am here most of the time under the day, but we have a mailbox that people can put money in if we aren't here.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What about going to a farmers market and doing a little research?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One inexpensive way I package is brown paper bags and they look good at a farm stand. I roll down the tops to create a wide band about 1 to 1/1-2 inches wide and then I fill them with the produce and weigh. Price is marked on each band and I use a rubber stamp to dress it up a bit. I have several garden themed rubber stamps and use one of the rainbow stamp pads. Being able to pre-price items saves a huge amount of time but there is always someone that has to molest the tomatoes by squeezing the heck out of them. :rant For herbs I like to use rubber bands to secure each bunch and then I tie with a bit a raffia that I find at thrift stores. I have checked into the plastic clam shells that you see in the regular stores and they are way too pricey but if you have a friend in the fast food industry they can get french fry trays for cheap. I like the red and white checked ones for things like cherry tomatoes or berries and they are more cost effective that the cute berry baskets.

bj taylor

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
from a buyers perspective, I'm a sucker for 'cute' packaging. I don't mean pricey - in fact, I prefer something that has a touch of personal to it. home made labels, fruits/veggies packaged in some attractive way. that will get me every time. to get me from a distance to come up close & see - I need a sign I can read. so often I see signs that are so cutesy I can't read them & so I just go on. I like colorful, farm-like and best of all, add something that isn't edible but is totally from the farm; aprons/ pretty garden gloves/ plant labels - whatever. and don't forget the canned goods. I don't know how to can and i'm in awe of anyone who does. I buy canned goods, especially if they have some raffia wrapped around them w/gingham tops.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great ideas.

The stand is starting to come alive. I have been doing two farmer's markets. I love one. The other one was new last week and that one I am not thrilled about.

Green Beans are starting to come on strong, which is a good thing. I am learning as I go and still have a lot to learn.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mostly from a customers point of view. I would never buy home canned foods one little mistake and you could be dead! To be honest If I get them as gifts I pass them on to the chickens. One of the big things about farm stands or markets is the abilty to examine the goods. Yep I will steal a cherry or a grape to taste before I buy, I will pull back the husk on Sweet corn to check for worms and look for the size I like [banned at a few manned farm stands] but common practice at markets. Some items lose quality rapidy at outdoor temps. Sweet corn, peas in the pod, and string beans jump to mind. I carry a small ice cooler in my car for drinks and for such produce. I used to have a cooling unit that ran on 12 volts [car current] but it broke and i have not been able to find another. When I go to supermarket I place Ice cream, meat and frozen foods in it.
Sorry about wandering off subject.

Plantress

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love farm stands and agree about the items needed to be sold. I say don't price it too high. I'm not going to charge someone 6 bucks for a quart of jam and will rarely buy it for that unless it's a special combination!