I am baking BREAD!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The current issue (and the last one) of Backwoods Home is all about baking bread. I'm telling you guys, this magazine is great for us, right up our alley!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
roosmom said:
OK I am not going to touch that . NOPE not me :lol:
oh shame on you! you made me think dirty!!!!!!!!!! :gig

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Fresh homemade bread- oh the smell and joy of bread that is right out of the oven.................Nothing better.
Amen ! Nothing better than that smell ! Baking choccie chip cookies come in right behind bread too. Mmmmmmm smells like home!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I think its only fair, since we did not get any of that bread that you at least tell us which recipe you used. ;)
Glad your bread turned out good. I was not as lucky as you. I tried a different yeast and mine turned out kind of ok.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Um, well, all of the recipes I use, um well, they come out a Better Home and Gardens Complete Step by Step Cook Book.

It is as old as I am, copy right is 1978 (year I was born), and my mom used to cook and bake from it as well.

In 1988 it survived an intentionally set house fire. It has ALOT of smoke damage, water damage, and burned edges. It looks awful. But I love this cook book sooooooo much!

I baked my first cake using this book when I was 13. From there I went on to make chocolate chip cookies and many of the other desserts from it.

When I got married 10 years ago, my mom passed it on to me on my wedding day. First thing I cooked out of it as a new wife was salmon cooked in white wine sauce.

Today I am making pumpkin pie and banana bread with recipes from this cookbook.

This is my Bible of Cookbooks. :)

328_100_2482.jpg

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
What an awsome story. And what a great treasure to hand down.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Cool! This is one my mom got when she got married. I took it when I went off to college. I returned hers when I found a copy at a junk shop. It's written in 1958 which is several years before I was born. I don't use it too often anymore because a lot of the recipes call for prepackaged foods and I'm trying to get away from that. But I did learn how to bake bacon from this book!
cookbook2-1.jpg

**edited to add better picture**

Latest posts