I am SS embarrassed!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How SS are you? I thought I was coming right along. I do a lot of SS stuff. I figured I could smoothly transition if we lost power for an extended period of time. Then, I found my weakness. Two weeks ago, I fried my microwave. Don't ask me how I did it, because I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, but smoke came pouring out none the less, and it decided it was time to retire. We decided it was not really needed and we couldn't afford it, so we didn't replace it. Man, I can't count how many times I have went to 'throw something in the microwave' or had to change dinner plans because I forgot to take something out of the freezer! On a good note, I have been using the old 'cast iron trick' to defrost A LOT of stuff and IT REALLY WORKS! :D

What 'modern' appliance would you find it hard to live without?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My cell phone. As annoying as it can be at times, I feel naked w/out it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd find it very difficult to live without my freezer, but honestly, that's really about it. I lived without a washer for several weeks and hand washed and even line dried.....but the freezer..I don't think I could handle putting up enough food for us without it. We are big meat eaters here...well THEY are, not so much myself, I can do without it. I'd hate to have to slaughter every few days to keep enough fresh meat around for my collection of carnivores. I could live without the microwave, but it'd definately be a change of (almost daily) habit if I didn't have one. Fridge, I could do without if I still had my freezer. Stove...psh...would actually LOVE to do without some days :p But, I'd have to build an outdoor brick oven for my baking habit, and would use the grill more often. Oh, and the hot water heater...that would suck to lose :lol:

Even though we are all SS I think there are still some things we often take for granted, no matter how prepared we feel. After all, we do still (most of us) live in America where we pretty much have everything we need and are a bit spoiled.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we must have fried our microwaves about the same time! lol. and i am trying not to replace it. but wow, i did use it more than i thought i did. i refuse to get another dryer but i dont know if i could do without my washer. then there is the tv and computer...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well on the TV and computer, there are things I "could" do without, and things I could but would really miss. DH would miss the TV, I'd miss the computer.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
AC! I mean I 'could' an have lived without it - but in our summers....100+ degrees with 99% humidity....ugh!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi FJ!!! :frow

I appreciate all of my appliances. I think I love my dishwasher most. :love

So what's the "old cast iron trick"?

Gina

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know the cast iron trick!!!! I used it all the time to thaw stuff! I have a cast iron griddle that came on my stove and I often just place stuff on there to thaw does it quicker and better than a microwave(at least I think so :) )
and on the matter of being Self Sufficient-I know for sure that I could do it and have before but as long as I do have my bells/whistles and gadgets I am so gonna use them! Not gonna feel bad about it either! lol
I have a feeling that after TSHTF many people are gonna find that they can survive just about anything. :p

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know I am spoiled. I have no desire whatsoever to give up my refrigerator or my washing machine. The freezer would also be a loss. I could manage without the clothes drier, though the climate here is damp during the winter, so clothes won't dry outdoors, only mildew. I'd have to rig up something indoors, which I'm sure wouldn't be pretty, but it would certainly get the job done. Dishwasher is a pleasure, but could be done without. The microwave would be the first to go. I hate the thing, though I admit to re-heating my morning tea on occasion. DH thinks it is a miracle worker, and complains (often) that I "take too long" reheating things on the stove or the in the oven, when I could use the machine. I don;t like the results, often, of reheated microwave food - the texture is often somewhat "off". And I WILL NOT cook in it. It isn't, in my opinion, really meant for cooking. Lacking the input of the Other Half, I would ditch the thing tomorrow.

And, yes, the "cast iron trick" is great! It has been shown (somewhere; I don't have the link) that an ice cube set on cast iron (or, really, any metal pan) will defrost faster than another ice cube placed on a plate. Works like a heat exchanger.