I bought a cider press

MountainMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I bought one of Cider Bob's cider presses recently. We drove down to Oregon to pick it up, camping along the way. I'm really looking forward to pressing apples. I have my own trees, plus there are abandoned trees all over the town where I live.

I've been to two apple pressings with one of Bob's presses. They are awesome, and have a great rep. I got the Medium Plus size.

http://www.applejournal.com/correll/index.htm

press.jpg

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
SWEET! That it a beautiful piece of equipment! Congrats!

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oooohhhhh I have press envy big-time!

nothing tastes better. I always had trouble keeping it from fermenting - never could get it into the frig fast enough. I lost custody of the press I use to have some years back.

there is a huge abandoned orchard by my house...I pick more apples than I can use for the chickens, eating, apple jelly, applesuahce, and apple butter, apple pies, etc. Could definitely use a press!

MountainMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Last year I put the cider immediately into the freezer, and it tasted like it was fresh when we took it out months later. I picked up a couple more mini chest freezers while in Oregon too. They don't have sales tax in Oregon.

I was considering making some hard cider too. Anyone know a good recipe for that?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MountainMom said:
Last year I put the cider immediately into the freezer, and it tasted like it was fresh when we took it out months later. I picked up a couple more mini chest freezers while in Oregon too. They don't have sales tax in Oregon.

I was considering making some hard cider too. Anyone know a good recipe for that?
Yes don't put in the freezer! put in a non leaking container (barrels are traditional, you want to leave a excape route for the CO2 that will be made as the apples ferment. you should see bubbles and maybe even foam after 2 days @ 70F. The old timers always fermented in the cellar @~54 as they claimed a lot of the flavor was lost in a fast ferment There is no need to add to add yeast it is already there on the "bloom"! if you want a super strong hard cider add Champaign yeast later on, proofed in either fresh cider or a sugar solution. Champaign yeast has a greater tolerance for alcohol than the natural yeast. Keep tasting if it is still sweet give it more time for the yeast to work. If you want you can add spices to your bulk, but I wouldn't because one mistake can ruin the whole batch. Some spices tend to kill off yeast.
If you want and have the proper pressure bottles you can also produce sparkling cider. just take what you have, bottle leaving head space to add the Champaign yeast and proofing liguid. DO NOT TRY THIS WITH REGULAR WINE OR BEER BOTTLES AS THEY USUALLY CAN'T TAKE THE PRESSURE AND BECOME BOMBS THROWING GLASS AND CIDER EVERYWHERE.
I have been to wedings where sparkling cider was served and most of the guests had no idea of what they were drinking.
If you get really good at cider making enter your stuff with the national homebrewers society, even if you don't win a metal the judge's notes are well worth the loss of the sample and the shipping costs. GOOD LUCK ~gd