I cheated....I made cupcakes.................

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
from a box :/

The kids wanted these funfetti cupcakes. Would have been cheaper to get a container of sprinkles and just made it from scratch, but I caved. Bought the mix and the icing to match.

I assauged my guilt for making them from a box by polishing off the last bit of cream cheese icing in my fridge.

So much for dropping those last five pregnancy pounds :gig

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL on the preg weight.
I gained only 19 lbs with Nicole...but into 1 year later I gained 50. Hmm...who's to fault her or my big hand to mouth action..HA HA

well I lost that weight and more..hehehehe

ANYWHO

it is not a cheap

SS means best way to help the family so if the kids are yammering for a box of FUNfetti cupcakes, then so be it

at my discount store I just got like 9 boxes of mix, French V, choc., red velvet, pineapple etc. for .69 per box. they are selling for about $1.59 now. So I did well and proud of it.

go kids...they sure know to ask for what they want and never feel quilty about it..HA HA HA

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
My wife is convinced brownies are cheaper to make from the box than from scratch. It's the baking chocolate that drives up the price of brownies from scratch.

Making cupcakes from a box isn't necessarily cheating. Your time is valuable too.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I will join you in your guilt, b/c I , too, made cupcakes from a box three weeks ago. In my defense-the boxes were in my pantry for close to a year, ones that I had bought on sale.

Seriously though--hubby and I pigged out on them. the kids cant stand them.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made a boxed cake the other night. Made the frosting myself, but it was just easier to do a boxed cake that night.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, I have never tried to brownies from scratch...I always do them from a box, but cakes, cookies and cupcakes I normally would make from scratch. Or at least try to LOL then if it flopped, box as a last resort...but my kids loved them. We have a good dozen or so left today and they are quite mad that I won't let them have any this early in the morning!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The junk they put into those boxes that passes for chocolate is why it's cheaper - I'll always make them from scratch. Besides, I don't use all the chocolate I buy for one batch of brownies, there's always more to use in another recipe!

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's funny, Q_A, I've never made brownies from a mix, but cake? Sometimes cake mix just hits the spot.

A friend's husband is a professional chef, and he admits to using cake mixes (and then messing with them) in his fancy restaurant. There's all sorts of interesting chemical leavening agents and softeners and stuff in there, that you just can't re-create at home. But brownies are usually, I think, super easy. Hey, here's my easiest brownie recipe that I love:

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Melt the butter. Mix everything together in a bowl. Bake at 350 in a brownie pan until done, about 25-30 minutes.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
ScottyG said:
That's funny, Q_A, I've never made brownies from a mix, but cake? Sometimes cake mix just hits the spot.

A friend's husband is a professional chef, and he admits to using cake mixes (and then messing with them) in his fancy restaurant. There's all sorts of interesting chemical leavening agents and softeners and stuff in there, that you just can't re-create at home. But brownies are usually, I think, super easy. Hey, here's my easiest brownie recipe that I love:

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Melt the butter. Mix everything together in a bowl. Bake at 350 in a brownie pan until done, about 25-30 minutes.
Thank you for sharing your brownie recipe! that's another recipe to the list LOL I will try this one soon! Thanksgiving is coming, brownies with powdered sugar on top would be a great dessert for it!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
True confession-I own and will never part with my The Cake Mix Doctor cookbook! I don't make cakes often but when I do I have a few favorites from that book!

Latest posts