I did it, I did it, I finally did it......

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Went to the library to check out books instead of buying some. I now have 6 books to read sitting on my side table.

The thing that finally made me do it was not the saving of money but the headache of having a bazillion books piled everywhere. These library books will go back to their home in a couple of weeks. I will only foster books from now on.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I totally tried that but my library is a 20 minute drive in an f-150 away and anyway I prefer having the books to keep. I have books everywhere but I like it that way :)

And by the time I get into town to go to the library, I'm only an additional 10 minutes from Chapters lol

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hah, you think you won't have a bazillion books laying around? Suuuuure you won't. Those 'free' books are seductive; all that information just there for your use for days on end, and then they go back. Yep, that's what I thought. But I usually have a few dozen books checked out at any given time, and a bunch on reserve too. The stack on my bedside table never seems to go down, even though I read like mad and take books back every few days. Seems like I come home with more than I returned, though.....

Libraries are such wonderful places! Books, computer use, printers, dvds, story time, seminars, and all free free free!

"Books will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no books."

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
I totally tried that but my library is a 20 minute drive in an f-150 away and anyway I prefer having the books to keep. I have books everywhere but I like it that way :)

And by the time I get into town to go to the library, I'm only an additional 10 minutes from Chapters lol
F-150 huh? I drive a Ram 2500- move over boys I'm coming through.

Seriously- I coodinate the library with my shopping. No special trip.
Our library has a renew by phone or on the web. And the loan period is 4 weeks. Good for my not having to make a special trip.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The library is a great resource; when we were looking for a place to retire to the library was one of the first things we checked out. But I also love havng my books all around me, and being able to look something up at a moment's notice (well, once I've cleared the stack on top, then it is only a moment :lol:). My compromise is to frequent 2nd hand bookstores. That way I can get several books for the price of one new one. I also don't buy much fiction anymore; once read, and then back on the shelf - well, it might as well go back on the library shelf. My DH just downloads books onto his palm top, but I need pages to turn :).

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I am guilty of owning way too many books, too. I love the library book sales and buy buy buy!
I do like borrowing books to decide if I want to own them. I'm not a fan of fiction, prefer technical books on a variety of subjects.
I take that back; last winter I reread every Nancy Drew book in existence, even the awful new ones.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Sylvie, I just KNEW you were a Nancy Drew girl!

LOL

Good job on borrowing books instead of purchasing!

I borrow the fiction and more 'entertaining' types of books but when it comes to a how-to or homesteading type, I have to purchase them because I forget any useful info I might need one day - that and I'm too lazy to copy everything down. :rolleyes:

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
lupinfarm said:

F-150 huh? I drive a Ram 2500- move over boys I'm coming through.

Seriously- I coodinate the library with my shopping. No special trip.
Our library has a renew by phone or on the web. And the loan period is 4 weeks. Good for my not having to make a special trip.
Ugh, the big trucks kill the gas, our gas is super expensive.. up at around 98 cents per litre here and it's a 97 litre tank. You should have seen the shock on my face when I filled up the rental f-150 we got, it was a 136 litre tank. I thought I was going to die! It just kept going up up up up..

The thing is we don't shop for groceries locally, we shop at Costco in Peterborough which is an hour in the other direction from our town. Our library isn't open on Sundays or Mondays, Monday is when we do our shopping. And the library is in a village which doesn't have any stores I have any need to go in lol. Very unfortunate, it'd be better if I was allowed to sign up at the library in the other village which is only a 3 minute drive away but we're in a different township and they won't let me sign up. Even then, theres nothing but a Macs in that village hahahaha so not much to do there, not even a feed store!