I did it, I did it, I finally did it......

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:D If it makes me any more SS LOL I reread all the time! It takes a lot for me to find a good book. I recently finished "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters and I totally recommend it if you want a really gripping read. But I do reread a lot, I've read Atonement so much its falling apart :( I love that darn book.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
"Hello, my name is Jen, and I'm a book buyer" :p

I'm guilty of buying books all the time, however I do this for 2 reasons:

1) the little town I own a house in has a library the size of my living room....small, with very little selection

2) I travel 340 days of the year....its just not an option. Plus, I want my SS books in hand, and on the shelf for reference.

I will say I'm getting better at passing books along. A girlfriend and I share the same taste in fiction, so if we find one we like, we'll buy it and mail it off for the other to read.

I envy those that have a great library to pull from!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Don't worry Lupin, I just started 'gifting' or 'sharing' this year. It was brought on by the fact that I can't keep carrying books around with me during my travels. So its more a necessity than anything else, :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used to be a book a holic. I have broken the habit. Now I only buy SS books. And just a couple important ones.

I have boxes and boxes of books. A lot of sci fi and romances of course. I have inherited children's encyclopedias and books from friends. Someday I hope to be able to shelve them all. I refuse to give them away.

We used to live in a town with an amazing 3 story library. Now it's a bit smaller but holds it's own. I should use it more.

g

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My favorite room in our house is the little "extra" room, with a woodstove, and floor to ceiling shelves we put in. Room for most of our books, and some of DH's art work. It is so cozy on a cold winter's evening. I can do without many things, but not books - mostly gardening, cooking and SS books - my special favorites are herb books, which fall into all those catagories. DH is an artist, so we have lots of art books too.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Books are one of my weaknesses. I used to but them new. Then I tried used bookstores. Thrift shops and library bookstores have some really good ones. I make bookshelves scream for mercy.
I never pay full price for fiction theses days. Check them out at the library instead.
I try to check out how to books also and if I love it and would want to refer to it many times- then I look for a copy to buy.

Organics North

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am glad to see the Public Library is used and valued by many here. my family LOVE ours and uses it weekly. In the semi progressive state of Wisconsin we are fortunate to have a great Public library system.
Me, I get quite a bit of my info of the net, but not all, I buy reference books, the rest I try to check out at the library.

I was doing some forum reading on Oregon, it appears southern Oregon does not have Public libraries.. People voted to close them!!! Not sure if it is true or not. But I do get the sense libraries are under attack nation wide.

ON

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I will only foster books from now on.
That's funny :lol:

I need to foster some more books too ;)
I actually need to go through my books and put some up for adoption :lol:
I put my books up for adoption by donating them to the Habitat Store. That's where I always bought them (I used to work right across the street from one). Anyway, donating helps 3 ways - I get rid of the clutter, someone else gets books cheaply, and the money they spend goes to help someone else get a house.

Since I retired I have just recently re-discovered the Library and I'm in L-O-V-E! That place is soooooo relaxing.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Organics North said:
Hey all,
I am glad to see the Public Library is used and valued by many here. my family LOVE ours and uses it weekly. In the semi progressive state of Wisconsin we are fortunate to have a great Public library system.
Me, I get quite a bit of my info of the net, but not all, I buy reference books, the rest I try to check out at the library.

I was doing some forum reading on Oregon, it appears southern Oregon does not have Public libraries.. People voted to close them!!! Not sure if it is true or not. But I do get the sense libraries are under attack nation wide.

ON
Hi ON, welcome to SS! I live in SW Oregon; a few years ago the 2 counties just south of us - between our county and the Calif. border - did vote to allow the libraries to close because of lack of funding. A friend who lives there said it was allowed mostly as a protest of some sort, but they weren't kept shut for very long. I was worried when it happened, as our county is poorer than either of those others - but somehow our libraries remained open.