I dont know if this is the right category...

sparkles2307

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OK, here is my problem!

I have two wunnerful, spoiled little boys who have more toys than they could EVER use and they dont really play with them a lot in the summer because we dont go in the house once its above 60 out!

I need to find a cheap, easy to build/make way to sort and store this mondo-mess of toys! Totes dont work for me! I tend to look at it, take two steps toward it, then back away thinking "well its in the basement, no one sees it anyways..." so I do better with UN-overwhelming ideas :)

What is YOUR favorite way to organize your kidletts' toys!?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have two smallish laundry tubs that fit in the bottom of each of their closets with the actual laundry tub. Thats it for toys. Once a month we go through them and take what we don't want to the corner resale shop for credit, the broken ones go in the trash, unless its a favorite, then it gets fixed. Now, we have board games that have their own special place of honor on top of the fridge and the bookshelf is stuffed, but as far as army men and baby dolls, thats it.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I recommend boxing things up and storing them in a dark corner. Label the box with the contents in little letters and the date in big letters. As time goes by and they ask where is this or that, go get it for them. After 6 months, don't look in the box, just take it to goodwill. If they haven't played with it in 6 months, it's time to get rid of it.

PS - I wouldn't do it to the 36-year old, though. They get kind of mad about it :lol:

Inchy

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My hubby made a custom toy box. The plan was to make it to the same dimensions of the coffee table and replace it with the toy box. When I went out to look at it it was huge! This thing is the size of a coffin....no lying. I have small rubbermaid tubs inside of the toy box. One for cars, one for frogs, one for fish, one for playdoh, one for musical instruments, one for all things farm related, etc. The board games are in there too. Once every 3 months or so I go through and cull the ones I don't think they will miss. Most of the time they never miss them. I have a coat rack above my daughter's bed with tote bags that coordinate with her room that keep all of her ponies, barbies, and princess paraphenalia in them. They look cute and no one knows they are toy storage. Best thing is that she can't reach them yet so if she wants to play with them I have to get them down. We also use over the door plastic shoe racks (the kind with the see through pockets) in the coat closet and in the kid's bedrooms. Great for barbies, cars, hats, extra batteries, etc.

Good luck!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
First off I totally relate. But, I have boys and girls so double the stuff. I use those snap together wire cubes. Then slip plastic open crate type things in the cubes. One for match box, one for Lego's, one for dolls etc... I do agree that sometimes you just need to get rid of stuff. Donate and cull out all the things that are fads and not played with any longer. Anything you are truly attached to store long term.. I have a couple tubs of things that are just to much to be out all the time.(Thomas the train set) But on that rare rainy or summer day when we need a major distraction. We will bring out a long lost tub.

Anyways back to the cubes. I have slowly been reducing the number of cubes and boxes in them. They never noticed. good luck.