I finally found washing soda!!!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So excited to try homemade laundry soap, but hadn't been able to find this key ingredient. Finally, after looking everywhere in the laundry aisles, I found "pH Up" in the pool section of Home Depot. Soda ash, 100% sodium carbonate. It was more pricey than I hoped, $10 for 6 lbs, but still should be okay for saving money.

yay!

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The first time I found it I paid $7 for 3 lbs at Walmart. An hour later I found a pool supply store that sells it in bulk so I got 10lbs for the same $7. I took the first bottle back to Walmart :D

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, so glad I read this! I've been looking for it too with no luck. Thanks! :cool:

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Our wallyworld has the washing soda over by the fabric softeners and the 20 Mule team. I might make up a batch of the liquid detergent, when I run low on the stuff we have. I need to figure out a good container for it.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
Is this a good deal?

Meijer (online only) has a 12-pack of A&H Washing Soda (55 oz. boxes) for 35.88 plus shipping comes to $46.24. That's about $3.85 a box. I don't know what the stuff normally costs, since I can't find it. If I order this, I should be good for a loooonnnngg time!

http://www.meijer.com/s/arm-and-hammer-super-washing-soda-pack-of-12-55-oz-ea/_/R-117533#
Never mind. I just found some at Fleet Farm. I bought six boxes, so should be good for a while.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We love the homemade detergent, I find more uses for it all the time. Our clothes have never been cleaner.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Apparently people in my area are asking for it, b/c I just noticed our Fareway has the Borax, Fels Naptha, and washing soda all right next to each other now. I never could find the Naptha part.

sammileah

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i've always been able to find everything for soap at fareway and i've read on other posts from iowans thats where they find it guess iowa is good for that stuff. lol been makeing laundry soap for a yr now love it.