I Finally Made Something!!!

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Last week I made my first batch of laundry soap and it works great! :D Awesome-ly clean clothes and no strong scent. The only thing I had to adjust was how much I used because it was fadeing my SO's cheap black pants. :rolleyes:

After great sucess with the LS, I made a little bucket of homemade dish washing liquid last night. I haven't used it yet, but it looks and smells good. I made it useing an online recipe and Irish Spring soap (I wanted it to be as natural as possible, but since I don't make my own soap, I bought the next best thing. The first ingredient in it is Sodium Tallowate).

There is one issue with the soap- my cat. Appartently, Irish Spring is her favoriet flavor of soap. We caught her licking the empty box. I don't think she ate enough to hurt her, but her breath sure smells good!

I've got a long way to go to be self sufficient, but I'm learning! I would still be totally reliant on the "store" if I had not stumbled on to this site!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Congrats on the soap. Did you make liquid or powdered laundry soap? I make the powdered soap myself.

Maybe I should introduce my dog to Irish Spring. He could use a breath mint on occasion.

Edited because I can't spell.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
2dream said:
Congrats on the soap. Did you make liquid or powdered laundry soap? I make the powdered soap myself.

Maybe I should introduce my dog to Irish Spring. He could use a breath mint on occasion.

Edited because I can't spell.
I made liquid laudry soap. My SO hates powdered for some reason. I made 2 1/2 gallons.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Congrats ! Making soap is a major step ! There is a guy at another forum who makes his once a year in a five gallon bucket - the powder soap. His recipe starts with: First, grate 16 bars of soap! YIKES!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Congrats on making your first soap!!

This is something I seriously need to start doing.....I have yet to start making my own soap :hide

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I would really like to start making my own soap. I'm still doing some research and asking questions before I go to the next level. :p I grated 2 bars of soap to get the 2 cups I needed.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Congrats on making your first soap!!

This is something I seriously need to start doing.....I have yet to start making my own soap :hide
Gotta start somewhere I guess! :lol: My first SS step was my chickens.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
valmom said:
Grate 16! bars of soap! :th
I didn't think two bars was that bad. If I was gonna do 16 I would have to span it out arcoss the day. Do one or two here, go do something eles, grate another one, ect. My dish washing soap ended up making two quarts that I put into empty water bottles. Nice, thick (kinda snotty looking, sorry but it did!), and had a great scent! I haven't used it on dishes yet, but when I cleaned out the bucket it was made in, man was that bucket clean! :lol: