I get to buy a canner! Now I have questions...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I never thought to use a pot in the canner for cooking. I don't own a pressure cooker, either, though. Would be good for old roosters if I ever get one. Current one is to good of a boy to eat. He earns his keep. I'll remember that trick for later. I have some metal bowls that are designed to fit into pots.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What wonderful information, everybody! Thank you! I think I've settled on the larger of the two Presto canners I linked to, and the utensil set.
Presto is the only one I can find that says their canners can be used on a glass top stoves, which I have. (Don't like glass tops, but this is a rental so I need to at least not break it!) It's big enough for a second layer of pints, at least.
The info on what I'll use and not use in the utensils is good, thanks for your personal experiences. I'll get the whole set instead of trying to pick up one or two things piecemeal.

I knew y'all would know what to do!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have an All American 921 which we purchased in 1981. I also have the All American that my parents used while I was growing up which belonged to my grandmother. It is still in great shape. I love the fact that there is no seal to replace.

Sorry - I see you have already chosen. :)

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No worries, hoosier. Maybe the next place I live won't have a glass-top stove and I can get a second one! (Oh dear... another thing for me to start getting duplicates of...:lol:)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DianeS said:
What wonderful information, everybody! Thank you! I think I've settled on the larger of the two Presto canners I linked to, and the utensil set.
Presto is the only one I can find that says their canners can be used on a glass top stoves, which I have. (Don't like glass tops, but this is a rental so I need to at least not break it!) It's big enough for a second layer of pints, at least.
The info on what I'll use and not use in the utensils is good, thanks for your personal experiences. I'll get the whole set instead of trying to pick up one or two things piecemeal.

I knew y'all would know what to do!
I bought the 16 qt and found out I could the largest one about half of the time. As luck would have it I found the big one in a thrift store for $20 and bought that too. Both of mine are weighted gauges and I love that but have to make the necessary adjustments, if the recipe calls for 13 lbs I have to use 15 lbs. The dial gauges need to be checked every now and then to make sure they are accurate. Either way your going to love your canner.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DianeS said:
No worries, hoosier. Maybe the next place I live won't have a glass-top stove and I can get a second one! (Oh dear... another thing for me to start getting duplicates of...:lol:)
Lol, you're just talking like a canner ;)

Definitely keep us up to date with what you do with it! :)

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use mine on the glass top stove although I do have to move the stove out from the wall a good 6 inches to fit it under the hood/microwave, LOL. We got the stove about 2 years ago and have NOT been happy at all with it! The oven works great but at least one of the element rings burnt out at about 18 months...will cost a small fortune to have it fixed. Samsung had a "deal" on 3 pieces...fridge, stove and microwave. The microwave died just after warantee as well. Never again! We replaced the microwave with an LG which has been great! So far, fingers crossed, the fridge is doing fine...had a waterline leak but that's all. I'm disgusted with Samsung and won't have another. Won't ever have another electric stove either. We found a good buy on a 2 burner propane stove which we'll use out on the deck or in the garage for canning...keep all the heat and humidity out rather than in. Unfortunately, the car broke down yesterday so our budget for this month is shot :( I'm hoping the sale on that little stove lasts a little while longer. I tried using the BBQ for a couple of canning projects earlier on...and while it did help keep the the heat out, it required constant supervision...the breeze really made it necessary to keep fiddling with the heat...not worth the hassle, IMO.