I Got a Free Vita-Mix WHOO-HOO!!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My 89 year old Mother finally accepted my DH's invitation to move in with us. She listed her house and it sold in 2 weeks. While getting ready for the garage sale, I found a Vita-Mix 3600 Super. I researched it on the net and saw You-Tube videos of it grinding grain, plus a lot of other stuff. I am excited!

Does anyone have a Vita-Mix and have you ground grain with it? Well, I guess not ground grain, more like blasting it apart at high speeds :) I know this is an old model, but it works and maybe it can help me get started on grinding my own grain and baking bread that is not made with store bought white flour. Anybody??

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've never had one, so I can't help you out, but congrats on the find, and on your new house guest :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't have one, but that sounds like a great score!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't have one either, but hope you find some info--I've heard good things about those blenders :)

Glad you are able to care for your Mom :)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have one but I do not have the "dry" blade that is required to grind, my manual states that the regular blade is not made to finely grind flours or grind coffee beans etc. I would email them directly and find out exactly what you have and see if you are able to do so with what you have and if not check the availability of the dry blade set up.
https://vitamix.com/Owners-Resources

P.S. I :love my Vitamix, it stays on the counter, it is perfect for smoothies, salsa, soups, just about anything you would use a blender/food processor and more!

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You got a great deal. I've had mine for over 10 years and it is still going strong. Try making frozen drinks/ ice cream. Just drop in frozen fruit pieces and add juice or milk.
About the grains- it will do it but only do small amounts at a time as it will really heat up the resulting flour. I find that I like to grind some then run through a fine mesh screen then put what the mesh trapped and grind again. This allows the grain to cool a bit and ultimately gives me a finer flour. I have even used it to grind dried chick peas which have to be the hardest thing that is ultimately edible. But once they are ground they cook into humus much quicker.
I have used both dry and wet blades for the opposites of what they were intended for without noticing much difference. That wet blade for dry things and dry blade for wet things.

BTW best way to clean up after use is rinse container some and fill about half way with warm water then add a drop (just a single drip) of dish liquid and blend on high a few seconds. Rinse with clean water and set to dry in the drain.

Enjoy it but to get the most out of it yes, leave it out f you can. Experiment a lot to determine speeds and time needed.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
We have a blendtec, which as far as I know is Vitamix's major competitor, and I ADORE it. I accidentally skipped right over "ground" and went straight to "flour" once when I was trying to grind up some slivered almonds for a recipe. And that was only blitzing the almonds for a few seconds. Oops! Still tasted good though!

The blendtec only has one blade, so I can't tell if it would be an issue. I grind my soap shavings up finer for my laundry detergent so that they will dissolve faster in the blender, and that happens in a matter of a few seconds. I wonder if grinding grains would be ok... might have to try it some day!

It chews up humus like nobody's business, and handles pineapple CORES without breaking a sweat. I LOVE my blender!!!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I so appreciate it. Sufficientforme, what model is yours? As I understand it, the newer models have a wet & dry application. The 3600 super that I have has a stainless steel blender container and the tag on it says it grinds grain and kneads dough.

Justme, I am OK with grinding a small amount of grain at a time, I don't have to cook for a herd of hungry people, just DH, me and my 89 year old Mom. :lol: You say yours is 10 years old, what model is yours?

And when I was cleaning out more cabinets yesterday, I found the book! Haven't had a chance to look at it, just packed it in a box with some cookbooks, and that box DID come to my house! :gig

I was going with a friend to the Family Center in Houston run by Mormons, but the house sold the day before and I have been jumping through flaming circus hoops like a trick monkey ever since. Have 4 workmen in my house remodeling the master bedroom/bathroom for Mom, family came last Saturday to cart off what they wanted while Mom presided over the proceedings and the garage sale is day after tomorrow on Saturday. Oh, and she closes on the house tomorrow and the sooner we get out the better the new owners like it. When the dust settles, I will get to Houston and buy wheat. Can't wait! :celebrate

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Mine is a super 5000. And my DH says he thinks it is more like 15 years old. And yes it really does get used a lot.