I got brand new storage units at yardsale.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
corn cobs and sticks....wow....that is how people could truly afford to build homes when money was tight....none of the fancy high priced items. You did what was available.

yes keeping the integrity of the time period in the home is important. vinyl and other "improvements" don't cut it.....I hear ya. Stucco...eww...not a stucco fan here personally..LOL

You definitely put alot of care, time and love into your home. It feels so good I am sure...to know you made what you feel so happy and cozy in. A true homestead for you!!!!

I love an attachment to a home. It makes me feel very safe. You sound the same way as me! :)

Time period colors are so nice. They are not the cookie cutter paint colors of today....or should I say vinyl colors..LOL...almost every new house around here is the same type brick or the same beige vinyl. While nice, the character is just not there.....oh well...sign of the new times..LOL

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
You sound just like me, too bad you don't live closer we could go antique hunting together.
I go to the antique auctions all the time and its so much fun.

My husband is awesome about doing that with me and he has a good eye for a bargain, but none of my girlfriends are into antiques.

They just see it as old.
They think its strange when I need new furniture that I don't go to the furniture store like them, I go hunting at auctions, flea markets and occasionally the overpriced antique store if I am desperate enough.
I don't think there is a piece of furniture in my house that didn't have a past life.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA--yea me and you could hit all the old barns and things in the area. I would just love having access to all the old buildings and such on farms. Antique places are the best. I don't like the "upscale" places...I want the places I have to move items, step over items and such..LOL..the hunt for something old and exciting is most of the fun also!!

I have old farm equipment placed throughout the yard in the landscape and such....never purchased, always given to me by farmers. Can't go wrong there. I took an old plow from the barn and FIL said take whatever I wanted. So I grabbed it up and stained the handle a dull green and put in under the tree in the front yard. I love it!

Barb (who owns the dairy farm) gave me a giant iron old time tractor wheel. I would never part with that!

I am waiting to get the old ancient corn planter and work it into my design but Tony still uses it..LOL

oh yes we would be a good hunting team!

I only have a few pieces of new, yet antique type furniture. Most is second hand and has the country look. I have my Moms old couch and loveseat set...can't part with that cause the wooden frame is so stout it is the best couch. Just have to have it recovered again....stupid southern sun does such damage to fabric here.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wow, it definitely sounds like you scored some great stuff.
Its awesome when people give you stuff because its nice to know where it came from and who used it and all that.
I love using things that my grandparents used.I always feel a connection to them and I hope my kids will love them the same way I do.