I got free bedding!!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A couple of my neighbors got together and dethatched their lawns. I walked over and asked if I could have the grass that hadn't been treated with pesticides or herbicides and they (not being fools) said sure. Thus far, I have filled the 8'x6' chicken run 1' deep with it (I had just cleaned out the compost from the run yesterday) and started piling it around the outside of the run about 3' high. I'm probably going to dry it out on my back porch and use it as bedding in the coop until it runs out. Volume wise I probably have about 3 straw bales worth of dead grass. WOOT!! Oh, and I still have 3 large piles to go at my neighbors house to pick up. :bun

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My neighbor cuts her grass about 2 times a week (seriously folks). Sometimes if it rains a lot and she doesn't get a chance she will row it up for us and we use it for chickens or compost. I keep trying to tell her she's wearing her lawn out so she'll let it grow longer, but no dice.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL I have a few neighbors like that. In my neighborhood, I'm definitely the crazy lady on the block. I prefer to think of myself as eccentric without money, though.

One of my immediate neighbor's, unfortunately, uses both pesticides and herbicides on his lawn and there is no way I was grabbing his grass to use. He is getting better about not using Roundup on the side of the house that drains into my yard though.

Latest posts