I got into something - and it ain't good

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hmmm I got a single bite by a little spider the other day on my shin and it was like a stone and came to a head as well. Itched like a mosquito bite, and was really sore around it. This was a tiny spider, about the size of a flea, maybe a smidgen bigger, but THAT bump HURT...unlike my million tick bites from getting in THAT nest the same day! :rolleyes: Maybe it was some of those that got you too. I just drained it, kept it clean, and it quit itching and finally went down. I hope that is what you have too, because it really isn't bothersome after a day or so. DH got one of those yesterday too, and his is better today.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Check the expiration date on your bottle of Technu, it is less effective when it is older.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you are still itching you might try an oatmeal bath. Put a handful of oat flakes onto a washcloth, or something similar, and bring up the corners and tie them (or rubberband them) closed, making a little bag. Run a tepid bath, not real hot!, and swish your oatmeal bag around in the water. Have a good long soak, and rub the bag gently over your itchy spots. Oatmeal is very soothing to inflamed skin.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I use vinegar for itchies, particularly poison, bug bites and bee stings~not in a bath, straight and strong right on the affected areas. If it is chiggers, you might paint them with clear fingernail polish. This is supposed to smother the little buggers...takes a couple of days to see results but it does work. Mom always used that when we were little. Sometimes we had colored polish on us off and on throughout the summer....looked like tribal paint! :p

believer11

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Here in TN, we seem to be having extreme reactions to everything this year. A friend said her doctor said the same thing that our vet's been saying....both people and animals seem to be reacting to things this year that haven't bothered them before, or reacting worse to things that used to be under control. That includes allergies, bug bites, poison ivy. So perhaps it is something you've had before but it's the 2011 supersized version.

I use Tei Fu, a chinese formula of herbs on chigger bites and it really calms that awful itch right down. Its by Natures Sunshine. I keep a bottle around all the time just for chiggers, although its good for sore muscles as well.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
You should also wash your clothing that you wore, and any clothing you are currently wearing in fels naptha soap to get rid of the oils or yo may get reinfected in the future. If it is poison oak or ivy.
Aloe Vera provides good itch and pain relief from mystery rashes. You may have to apply it every 20 minutes or so, but it really helps. It is or family's cure all for skin problems. We have a big plant of it.

For poison oak/ivy you should also take cool not hot showers.

Hope you feel better.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That sounds like poison ivy/oak to me. The hard blisters, that itch. I had it the first time back in 2001..and didn't have any more till last year, 2010, when DH and I got this new place in rural Saluda County SC. I have had it several times since. But, I know what it looks like now, the vines, the rash...and I wash and treat it immediately. I also have been trying to eradicate the vines. We have them all along the edge of this 1 acre property. Nice big, green healthy poison ivy :barnie

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
believer11 said:
Here in TN, we seem to be having extreme reactions to everything this year. A friend said her doctor said the same thing that our vet's been saying....both people and animals seem to be reacting to things this year that haven't bothered them before, or reacting worse to things that used to be under control. That includes allergies, bug bites, poison ivy. So perhaps it is something you've had before but it's the 2011 supersized version.

I use Tei Fu, a chinese formula of herbs on chigger bites and it really calms that awful itch right down. Its by Natures Sunshine. I keep a bottle around all the time just for chiggers, although its good for sore muscles as well.
You may be onto something there, believer11. I have had some itches this summer and some allergic type things going on ever since we started that very hot weather. And now it looks like I have poison ivy and I haven't had it for at least 40 years.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Boogity said:
believer11 said:

You may be onto something there, believer11. I have had some itches this summer and some allergic type things going on ever since we started that very hot weather. And now it looks like I have poison ivy and I haven't had it for at least 40 years.
Yeah, my asthma has been horrendous this year too, and EVERYBODY's allergies cranked up early and hung on for twice as long. I think it is just a bad year for junk like this too.

UGH, sorry it is poison ivy :( I am not reactive to it fortunately, but I bet I still stay away from it this year!