I got my goat so now what do I do? Questions with tons of pics

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The lady I got her from had her vet test her and she tested positive for CAE. She has only kidded once and then was sold as a first freshener in milk... that's how the lady I bought her from got her... so no she wasn't there for any of the goats births or anything. She was already trained and all when this lady got her...

She came from a very healthy show quality herd. She was bottle raised so not sure how she got the CAE? The lady I got her from also had 2 other alpine does that were negative for CAE she sold them a few months back...

As for local goat people I don't know any! sure wish I did... :hit I would love to be able to trade a few bunnies or eggs for some good goat know how... I'm kinda Leary of posting a buck wanted ad on craigslist but not sure I can figure out another option...

Also another question I forgot to ask... the lady said she hadn't wormed her since early spring sometime... She said she just used the wormer that comes in the feed... So should I go ahead and worm her? she doesn't look sickly.... And what should I use... I would like to use something natural if possible...

Thanks again guys!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I tend to keep my animals for a long time, especially productive ones, and plan on keeping my does for at least a decade or more...so CAE negative is very important. Your doe could be CAE positive because she wasn't pulled from her own mama quickly enough....and you have to be quick and alert, because they are pretty darned determined to lick that baby the second they can reach it. You really don't know what her real history is. Maybe she was given milk that wasn't properly pasteurized, or escaped and snuck a sip. Mya was willing and determined to nurse Plum for weeks after her birth, even though they were separated immediately. There was one time I thought she dived in for a sip but a year later she tested 100% clean.

That being said, I do have a CAE+ doe.

You'll want to go to www.fiascofarm.com and read, read, read. She probably needs worming....there is no wormer in feeds. There might be a coccidostat (sp?) but not a dewormer. She is old enough now to be likely out of danger of coccidiosis. It is the stomach worms that really endanger her this time of year. Do a search of FAMACHA and then check her eyelids. It would be good to run a fecal, too, any vet's office can do it for a fee. You will then need to find out what people are using effectively in your area.....do another google search, there are goat people there, you just don't know it yet. Go through 4H or search for a dairy or meat farm.

I use herbals and Molly's Herbals is a good place to start....but first, you need to know what you are dealing with. This is prime worm season. You don't want to use the wrong type or dosage of dewormer for your area as resistance is a HUGE problem. You want to get ahead and stay ahead of it.

It can be overwhelming at first but trust me, armed with knowledge that you CAN get online (I did) it will become easy, mostly! And it is SO worth it! Goats are lovely animals (mostly!) and home dairy products are incredibly nutrient-dense and yummy besides.