I got the Barefoot Beekeeper book....

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'm just starting out myself and I really like the info I'm finding on the top bar hives for bee sustainability. I don't think I will be doing anything with Langstroth hives at all, after reading about the TBHs.
Keep in mind that you can go treatment free and foundationless in ANY hive body type, as Michael Bush already does.

I am still searching for a good book on natural beekeeping but will probably have to use a few or several books to have a complete information on the practice.
I know. I find this, too. It seems like the forums are great places to get on-the-spot info.

Nikki28

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'm just starting out myself and I really like the info I'm finding on the top bar hives for bee sustainability. I don't think I will be doing anything with Langstroth hives at all, after reading about the TBHs.

I particularly like the plans for making a TBH from a plastic barrel cut in half and plan to implement this come spring.

I am still searching for a good book on natural beekeeping but will probably have to use a few or several books to have a complete information on the practice.

Hmmmmm.....wonder if Joel raises bees? :p :D :lol:

Don't get me wrong, the BFBK book was some good info but I really need to know MORE! :)
I know I'm a research-a-holic and since finally buying a house with land I have been going crazy trying to find the most logical natural self sufficient way of doing things.

I saw the plastic barrel idea and we have a friend who actually has one just lying around on his property so I may have to stop by and swipe it (asking first of course) ;)

I love me some Joel Salatin !

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Beekissed said:
more emphasis on letting the creatures live, breed, eat in a more natural setting and manner....get back to how God designed them to live. :old
Wow.

That is like saying God knows best. :ep Talk about a revelation! Do you think the rest of the world will ever get it?
Not all of it, but little corners here and there are.....dollar short and a day late, but it's still a great idea. I think God would appreciate the nod to His excellent design for nature! ;) :D

Actually, I'm trying to live my life more and more like I imagine God would want me to be, clear on down to how my animals live and thrive, how I grow things, how I conduct my daily living. I just get the feeling that I really, really need to be doing this.....not sure why but it's definitely a strong inclination. :/

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I think God would appreciate the nod to His excellent design for nature! ;) :D
Actually, I'm trying to live my life more and more like I imagine God would want me to be, clear on down to how my animals live and thrive, how I grow things, how I conduct my daily living. I just get the feeling that I really, really need to be doing this.....not sure why but it's definitely a strong inclination. :/
:clap :ya :clap :ya :clap :woot

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I went to my fave library for a book on beekeeping and you know what? More disappointment awaited...... :(

I told the librarian that her only two books on beekeeping were published in 1976 and 1977, respectively, and couldn't they get some that were more current?

Her response? "Well, beekeeping hasn't ever changed all these years, so they are still pertinent."

:he :he :he :he :he :th

As I slowly writhed on the library floor in agony from exposure to the force field surrounding her mind, I thought to stutter, "Well, n-n-not exactly, b-b-but....." and then I just lost the will to even try. All my super powers had by then been drained from me and I no longer had the strength to leap towering ignorance or run faster than a crawling original thought. :th

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You should have just said, "It is quite obvious that you would think that, since you don't think fashions have changed since then either."

OH man - too mean. Sometimes I have no filter! :hide

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Bwaa haa haa haa!!!! :gig

I often wonder how much of the CCD is tied in to the high fructose corn syrup the bees are sometimes fed.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can order books through the book exchange program at the library, just ask the librarian again and she can help. It's a free program and the other public libraries use this to share books between them. There wasn't a charge when I was using the system 15 years ago. Good Luck.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
This library is not hooked into that system and the other local library is, but it cost me money to get some books shared....isn't that odd?

What I was trying to do was sample a book before I actually purchased it, as one can't judge a book by it's cover~on Amazon! Yeah, I know you can look at some of the pages on there, but with dial up it's an effort in patience.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
with dial up it's an effort in patience.
totally off-topic, but i was just explaining to a friend that i couldn't join him on some silly web-based farming game because when you actually live on a farm, dial-up makes it impossible to use the internet for "fun things."

the upside, however, is that i'm spending that time on BYC and SS instead!

Latest posts