i got this beauty for free but ned help

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
it is stamped c.r. ruegger
it is copper and lined in ?(steel maybe)
the handle is cast something iron or steel
the smaller handle is brass or bronze
it weighs right around 30 lbs
from hadle to handle it measures 31"
the pot itself is 11"
the diameter of the pot is 14"
the little egg is the size of a store bought large egg for comparison i grabbed that one because it was closer then the fridge

i researched the name and only came up with these maybe made in the 40s

oh and it also has a stamp of YH and another stamp S and another FRANCE

1131_009.jpg

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That looks cool. You can make a lot of soup in that thing!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
That is NOT lined with steel! That is "tinned" and I think I would be very careful of how you use it. Tinning has lead in it if I am not mistaken.....

update: Tinned cookware does NOT have lead, however..........

http://www.goosebay-workshops.com/ABOUT-BRASS-COPPER-COOKWARE-PLEASE-READ-

ABOUT BRASS & COPPER COOKWARE-PLEASE READ!

Click Here To Email Goose Bay Workshops LLC

WORDS OF CAUTION: Unlined copper and brass cookware can develop verdigris, a highly poisonous substance. For this reason, we tin line all our cookware. If you see ANY green coloration on a copper or brass surface, DO NOT USE that piece. If the tin lining of a piece begins to wear through from use, or is melted because the pot was boiled dry, it must be re-tinned. (I am sorry to say that I no longer re-tin.)

CARING FOR TIN LINED COOKWARE: The first rule is "NEVER BOIL THE POT DRY"! The second rule is "EVERYONE EVENTUALLY BOILS A POT DRY"! Tin lining will melt if there is no liquid in the pot to keep the temperature below the tin's melting point. Also, only wooden utensils should be used on tin lined cookware. Metal utensils will scratch and wear through the tin lining. To keep the tin lining bright, we recommend "Wright's Silver Cream" (See "MISC."). If the tin lining darkens, it is still ok (it is only cosmetic, the piece is safe to use). To keep the copper or brass shinning, use "Wright's Copper Cream". These products make shining copper & brass easy. But remember, it is ok to let your cookware turn a warm brown (copper), or deep red-brown (brass).

ALL OUR COOKWARE IS REAL. IT IS MADE TO BE USED IN A HEARTH, OR MODERN STOVETOP. TO LEARN A LITTLE ABOUT HEARTH COOKING, PLEASE READ "SOME THOUGHTS".

The originals I copy have survived for any one of many reasons. One thing is certain, they were taken care of. A copper piece was, and is, a pricey bit. You would keep it clean both inside and outside to the best of your ability. Proof? The best sand for cleaning pots was imported from France!! Which probably explains why so much early domestic cookware has sxposed edges that are polished smooth. They did not start out that way! The mark of a good housekeeper was her copperware was penny bright.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so no to the cooking?

SKR8PN said:
That is NOT lined with steel! That is "tinned" and I think I would be very careful of how you use it. Tinning has lead in it if I am not mistaken.......

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it looks like it was made from used parts?
someone desperate to make a pot for fast use? :idunno

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
um, doubt it unless the trash digger making it from used parts was an awesome metal worker

copper pots are often made with handles from other metals as i have plenty with brass handles just never had one made with a cast handle but have only seen them

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is a beautiful copper pot, if you have the money to have it retinned you would have a very high end restaurant quality pot. There are several places to choose from like Rocky Mountain Retinning in Denver or East Coast Tinning in Rhode Island. This is a costly endeavor and it depends on what you planned on using the pot for. To give you a ballpark, measure down the side and across the bottom, and up the other side of the pan and multiply the result (in inches) by $4 or $5 depending on who you choose, plus shipping. You can also try to do it yourself, it would certainly be worth a shot for the cost difference, I found a few sources for that online also. If all else fails list that sucker on EBAY and see what you can get for it.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is that green showing inside the pot? It looks like it in the picture.

Like the article SKR8PN posted, that would be verdigris if it is green, I would think.

I'm not a metals expert where cookware is concerned, but I would NOT use it for food in that condition.

It's a very nice pot though. A wonderful find, especially if it were free. If I were you, I'd look into the suggestions here about having it repaired to use for cooking. And if I were me, lol probably not being able to afford the restoration, I'd find something wonderful to do with it. I LOVE copper pots, and it's a nice find no matter what you decide. :)

Latest posts