I had my first class on "the quiet art of blade shearing" today

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
That makes me feel better, it took me about 30-45 min per sheep IIRC and that is using the 'figure it out as you go along' method :p

I have a pair of that brand of shears, got them from Premier - but before I use them again I am *for sure* taping some padding to the handles, as the base of my right forefinger was numb for about a week afterwards ! Also next time I need to bring a stone out with me, as just touching up with a steel was not sufficient to keep them sharp through two sheep.

I visited my m-i-l yesterday (I gave her both my fleeces, as she is a handspinner and if she doesn't want them herself she can give them to other folks in the guild); she's washed both fleeces and carded about half of Jose', and really likes the wool a lot. It sure is soft! (sez uneducated me)

I told her it was good that she liked it, b/c she's getting more of it next year LOL

Pat

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
...My hands were pretty oily...
My beard is too, mostly from buttered saltines and deep fat fried Lake Michigan smelt but now it has a touch of gray. Perhaps a "Yurt" hold from a strong Texan She-Ra could rectify that.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sally when you say "blade shears" your talking about big old scissor things right?

What a great SS skill. You go girl!!

g

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
xpc said:
big brown horse said:
...My hands were pretty oily...
My beard is too, mostly from buttered saltines and deep fat fried Lake Michigan smelt but now it has a touch of gray. Perhaps a "Yurt" hold from a strong Texan She-Ra could rectify that.
:lol:
Ahh, the great "Mongolian Bearded Sheep Yurt Hold"..well that is obviously far too advanced for this here She-Ra-Ya-Hoo. :p

Yep, TanksHill, the blade shears are those scissor-lookin things.