I HATE DELAWARES-THEY KILLED ELSA

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had a sweet roo once, he died protecting his ladies. He was a BR mix. Our friend had a sweet australorp roo, also a great protector. He flew in the pig pen and was gobbled by the pigs. I have never heard a negative comment about australorps, good choice!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is there such thing as a nice roo?
I have Black Orpingtons, Lavender Orpingtons and Coronation Sussex - all big meaty roos and I've never had a mean one in the bunch. Even my EE roo is well behaved...oh and the Barred Holland roo is a gentleman too. In fact, even the crosses that will be harvested are all nice. My theory is they have each other to spar with so they leave me the heck alone. Or maybe through the generations the story of what happened to the ONE mean rooster I had about 15 years ago lives on in my chicken flock. If they heard that story they darn sure know better than to give me any grief, lol!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
When I ordered the CX, I also ordered 10 Australorp pullets and 2 roos. They are supposed to be an even tempered large chicken and good layers.

I have two Wellsummer roos that hit the wire when I walk by, so they are going too. Is there such thing as a nice roo? I used to keep only hens, we lived in town and I didn't want the crowing to draw attention. The Wellsummer roos are big and will make some nice Mean Rooster Soup!

I only name a few of the chickens. Elsa was special.

Bay, I've never had a mean rooster in over 40 yrs....and that's a LOT of roosters of all kinds of breeds. They exist, they just need to know they are a rooster and you are not from the very beginning and it makes for a peaceful life together.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aw you're awesome! My incubator will be full for the next three weeks, then it's free :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm guessing a time line would be more like 6 weeks or so? I'll get 'em separated this weekend and then I'll need to wait a month or so to let the alien sperm dissipate, lol. Then collect for about a week. Then ship.

I really like the Orpingtons...they are nice calm birds and the roosters get good sized and make a pretty decent carcass...just slow growing like most heritage breeds.

"Lavender, also known as “self-blue” are not like your typical blue chickens. Lavender Orpingtons will breed true and all of the offspring will be the Lavender color. ... The Lavender Orpington Chickens lay 175 - 200 lightly tinted eggs per year and are considered a sustainable heritage breed."

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds good to me, whenever they're ready! Putting doms in tomorrow :)

We have white orps and we really like them. They're big, calm, and friendly. The lavenders are so pretty! They match well with the doms, personality wise.

So Bay, when does butchering begin? How many hens are headed to the soup pot?