I have a horse question....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
It is a metabolic* disorder I think. I also think it can be managed.

I hate to see "free" old horses up here. :(

(By the way, if you are interested in an old horse I've got one. He is a morgan about 15 hands high...a baby sitter. I got him for my daughter after her brain injury. She has recovered so much that he is too slow for her now. He will stay with me forever unless there is someone who needs a horse like him and can give him a good home. He is perfectly sound and healthy.)

eta: *not metabolic issue but a pitutary gland issue.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My 30yr old mare had Cushings. It is basically seen in older horses and is a result of their brain producing too much of some hormone. They get the long, curly coats.. sometimes look emaciated (mine did)... they can be prone to founder but mine never had any hoof issues. There is no cure, but they can be treated to lessen the impact. My mare lived about 10yrs with Cushings. I should have put her down before I did, but overall she was happy and healthy so I jsut couldn't. The day she died you could feel individual vertebrae in her neck, despite her being fed 2x as much as my other mare.

The pony could probably be a good leisure ride, maybe even light carting, for several years, especially with meds.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
He is super cute too and has a nice round behind. :)

We had a shetland that was a real wooly bugger and shed out late. We've had pretty cool temps up here this summer.

AL, do you have to feed cushing horses a special feed? I seem to remember that it has to be different...could be wrong.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd love to have a horse or should I say...DS12 really really REALLY wants one or 3 or 4. Right now we really don't have a place to keep a horse or the resources to feed one for long. I just can't resist looking in the farm/garden section. :p With only a backyard, I'm still debating if we could support a dairy goat.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Look up Dr. Eleanor Kellon veterinary. She has a forum addressing Cushings complete with diets ect.. She is also very free with her knowledge and is well known world wide.